Teric Battery Drain - When OFF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver-6873

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Our Terics are our everyday wear and are dived several time (4-8) times a week, year round. However even when charged to 100% and turned “off” and on the dresser they can loose 40-50% of that charge within 24 hours. We are both on our second Terics as a result of this issue.

This kind of battery drain can not be what Shearwater expects.

Have any battery, or other, changes been made in more recent versions of the hardware?

Ours are hardware 25016-02 A and 25016-01 A and both at firmware v18.

Thanks.

*knocks on wood* I had Shearwater replace (not repair) both my Terics with new ones for the same issue though not nearly so bad. Five months is the older of the two and so far so good, but six months is typically when I start to have issues.. The other is only a month old.

Get it fixed under warranty. This is a known defect due to bad batteries in some Terics. They will replace the battery and it will be fine.

This is the answer I received from Shearwater a while back following an inquiry about my Teric's battery life:

Thanks for contacting us. And sorry you're having some trouble with your Teric battery.
We have a test you can try to quantify the problem. If you can, please try the below and let us know the results and we'll go from there.

- Turn off AI & compass in Dive Mode
- Charge Teric to 100%
- Remove Teric from the charger and turn it off
- leave Teric off for 48 hours
- Check if the battery %
- If lower than 92% the unit should be serviced

Let us know if you have any questions.

This is the answer I received from Shearwater a while back following an inquiry about my Teric's battery life:

Thanks for contacting us. And sorry you're having some trouble with your Teric battery.
We have a test you can try to quantify the problem. If you can, please try the below and let us know the results and we'll go from there.

- Turn off AI & compass in Dive Mode
- Charge Teric to 100%
- Remove Teric from the charger and turn it off
- leave Teric off for 48 hours
- Check if the battery %
- If lower than 92% the unit should be serviced

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks .. I’ll try that test when we suspect we will be on the surface for 48hrs.

My Teric was burning through the battery when off, probably 4-5% a day loss of charge. After it was serviced I can turn it off for 48 hours after a full charge and it will be 99-100% still.

The problem, being on island, is that getting them serviced means sending them to the US or CA and even without Covid that always tricky. Hopefully I can get them to just authorize replacements from our local dealer. Both my wife and my units are having the same problem.

Are their any Teric users here who dive them as frequently as we do, 4-8, as many as 10, dives per week, every week?

I dive a couple times every week, but I also took my Teric on a couple of dive trips where I did 10 days of diving. I only just got my battery fixed, and before the fix it was just fine for the dive trips. The battery issue is only an annoyance when you put your Teric away for 2 or 3 weeks and find the battery at a low charge. It's no issue at all when you are diving it every day.

Pretty quick turn-around from the USA service center. They got my Teric on Saturday and it's at the UPS store for return today. I haven't heard anything from them as to what they actually did, though. I assume there will be details with the computer.

Back
Top Bottom