Teric - anyone ever get a bad unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Just got my Teric, and was pretty excited to turn it on. Unfortunately I seem to have gotten a bad unit. A few seconds after turning it on, the screen began flashing white over about 2/3 of the screen, making it unreadable.

I'm sure either Shearwater or the vendor will make this right, based on experiences I have read with both. I also assume this is a pretty rare occurrence. I must admit that it's a little confidence-rattling, though. I rarely open even cheap electronics to find a defective unit out of the box, and the Teric is a pretty high end piece of electronics.

Have others had issues with Teric screens? Any reliability issues in general? Thanks!

I had a minor issue where I had a line of dead pixels down my screen, but the folks at Shearwater were very responsive after I posted about it, and shipped a replacement before I'd even sent back the old one.

I've heard of a couple reports of a row of dead pixels, but not as much as what you have.
Warranty will fix (replace) it.

All the troubles I have heard of are on new or very new units. Have not heard of any that have had any time on them. Initial quality, not long term durability problems.

For anyone keeping track, Shearwater replied to my contact within an hour...on a Friday night at 11 PM.

They indicated they hadn't seen anything like this one, and are sending a replacement. Guess I just got lucky :)

Looks like a nice screen from the bit I can see! And the unit feels super solid. Can't wait to get one I can play with.

For anyone keeping track, Shearwater replied to my contact within an hour...on a Friday night at 11 PM.

They indicated they hadn't seen anything like this one, and are sending a replacement. Guess I just got lucky :)

Looks like a nice screen from the bit I can see! And the unit feels super solid. Can't wait to get one I can play with.
It's not luck at all. Shearwater is very responsive to customer concerns even when they don't post complaints on public forums :wink:

I think the "luck" was sarcasm of getting a bad unit....

My first Teric had a depth sensor go bad. The replacement had a bad battery. I’m hoping the third try works.

It's not luck at all. Shearwater is very responsive to customer concerns even when they don't post complaints on public forums :wink:

I think the "luck" was sarcasm of getting a bad unit....

Yes - it was. Sorry if that was unclear. It seems that bad units, particularly with this failure, are completely novel to Shearwater. Thus my "luck" in getting one :)

It also seems to me a fine use of this forum to report experiences. The fact is I did get a bad unit. I expressed confidence they would make it right, and then I posted a followup about how they responded within an hour to initiate making it right. They don't seem to have ever seen this problem before, but it sounds like they'll investigate what caused the problem. Can't ask for a better response!

I was further comforted to hear that very few other SBers seem to have had problems with Terics, and on the rare occasion that they did, Shearwater quickly addressed the problem.

Shearwater has been entirely courteous and professional, and I'm sure my next unit will live up to expectations. I certainly look forward to diving with it soon.

I recently sold my Perdix AI and bought a Teric while I was in HK on business. On returning to Singapore a few days later (where I live), the screen displayed a row of white lit pixels whenever the screen was powered on. I tried upgrading the firmware but it made no difference. My LDS where I bought my original Perdix were not prepared to swap it out given I had bought it in HK, so I contacted Shearwater last Sunday evening - I am off on a dive trip to Raja Ampat tomorrow so needed a working dive computer. Darren from Shearwater replied Sunday night to say he’d do his best to sort something out. On Monday morning I received an email from him to say that he’d arranged a swap for a replacement Teric from another LDS in Singapore!

What an absolutely brilliant customer experience dealing with Darren and Shearwater. The Shearwater gear is obviously brilliant but their customer service is equally as good.

My first one was giving me bogus depth readings. I had a replacement in hand a few days after returning home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom