Teric AI transmitter sqeaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MtnDiverColorado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, my wife and I have Terics that we love. While we were doing the equipment check prior to our last couple of dives, the transmitter on my wife's primary was making a distinctive squeaking sound when she took a breath. Our DM said it wasn't uncommon to see that, and it would go away underwater. It didn't, she was squeaking all through those dives.

Not sure how to address this, or what could be causing it. There were no other errors, or obvious malfunctions of her dive computer that we noticed.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you!

The squeak is a loud high pitched squeak. It is pretty clear an consistent on inhales. I suppose it could be the first stage, but it really sounded like it was coming from the transmitter, not the first stage itself.

Sounds like it isn't something super common, and I should bring it into the shop?

Remove the transmitter from the first stage, plug the hole with a port plug, and see if the sound stops. If it does, your post is in the correct forum and Shearwater has a really interesting problem to deal with. But if the squeaking keeps happening with the transmitter removed, your post is in the wrong forum and your first stage needs servicing.

My scubapro regs would squeek on inhale after different shops serviced them. I was told that was common but i don't buy that.

IIRC, SP first stages and maybe others, occasionally can have a harmonics issue attributed with lubrication of the piston stem. I'd really doubt it to be the transmitter as it is just a pressure sensor and air is not passing air through it.
Good to know the actual cause. Question, this "harmonics issue attributed with lubrication of the piston stem", what is being done incorrectly, or what is supposed to be done correctly so it doesn't happen?

IIRC, SP first stages and maybe others, occasionally can have a harmonics issue attributed with lubrication of the piston stem. I'd really doubt it to be the transmitter as it is just a pressure sensor and air is not passing air through it.

I've personally experienced this from the first stage....harmonic issue was solved with a service on the first stage. Having said that, the problem would return after about 50 dives....so I replaced it with another brand....problem solved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom