Temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kixy1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've never been down in October... How are the water temperatures and the ride back? In the summer I'm good with no beanie in the water and just a towel around me on the boat. Winter/spring I need that beanie and I bring my boat coat.

Last weekend I was logging 83°F water temp and provided it was not having a torrential rain downpour after a 70 minute dive, it was pleasant on the boat. Unfortunately on several occasions it was pouring down rain and I used either light blanket or broke out my rain jacket to keep warm.

I vote beanie and boat coat. Those rain-all-day days get cold. If you've got room and weight (along with all the stuff you're bringing to the rest of the island) I'd pack them.Hurry up and get here!

I've been carrying a compact survival blanket in my dry bag for years. One day in May, it got used for the first time - and was well worth it all. I can remember other times I wished I'd had one, days I did not expect to need a coat. It's nice to carry one of those, in case anyone is getting chilled, hurt, etc. Can also be used for rain protection. Walmarts carry them for $2 or so. Also called emergency blanket.

I was there two weeks ago. Temps at depth were 83-85f at any of the sites I dove and surfaced temps were 93-94f. Unless we surfaced during a squall (Which happened like twice). Then surface temps were around 88f. I don't think there would be a big change for October. B.

We hit some very cold water at depth in spots last week, to a degree I haven't seen before.

On the boat one day everyone was huddled on the deck freezing from the rain. We wished we hadn't left the dive parkas at home. I'd certainly take a windbreaker or dive parka as Sallye suggests if have space to pack it. We've only used ours twice in quite a lot of dives, mostly in autumn and winter, so you can easily survive as most do without one.

If you don't want to pack parks, these are so compact, as well as cheap - and work for cold and rain. I'm leaving today for Albuquerque's Balloon Fiesta with the kids, and altho current forecasts are clear - carrying a few of these in bag...

k2-_bc371ba8-9803-45a1-9da9-3bd6ce530f0b.v1.jpg

If you don't want to pack parks, these are so compact, as well as cheap - and work for cold and rain. I'm leaving today for Albuquerque's Balloon Fiesta with the kids, and altho current forecasts are clear - carrying a few of these in bag...

View attachment 217650

In case of Zombie Apocalypse, I am moving in with DD!

In case of Zombie Apocalypse, I am moving in with DD!
My granddaughter wore one of my survival blankets at the Fiesta this morning. I wore long johns, but my soninlaw wore shorts - except he pulled his hood up on his sweat shirt.

Back
Top Bottom