temps of water in jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lottinala

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i was just wondering what the temps of the water should be between christmas and new years. my son and me are going to be down that way and he is wanting to dive down there for go reason may i say but we need to prepare for the temps before we come down that way. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are LIKELY looking at temps in the low 70's at depth - last year I got readings of 71 - 74 during late December and January - however, the lowest temp I recall was 67 in Jupiter and 57 at the Hole in the Wall (you will not be going there).

Plan on real low 70's, which for me means a 7m w/ a hood and possibly a vest, however your the best judge of what you can tolerate - the only thing I can tell you is the vast majority of locals will be in 7m - or diving dry. Also bring a fleece or windbreaker and a towel for between dives and the ride in.

Every year I say this is the last I'm going to dive during December - April, but late December - Feb offers the possibility of the Lemon shark aggregation so......

Post back or PM me if you want more info about Jupiter - I love the diving there, and think Jupiter Dive Center is a superb operator.

thats the dive op i used and love the way they treated me beings it was my first dive. love the way they did everything at JDC. i might get back at you the sooner the time comes to narrow it down more on the temps. thanks for the info.

Jupiter31 summed things up perfectly. Plan for the possibility that the weather can offer a nasty cold front with lows as far down as the 30's (daytime highs maybe 50's or 60's). Still diveable to some northerners, but you'd be really really glad you brought lots of extra layers. Also, worst case scenario, the cold fronts come in along with winds---a full blow out here meaning few, if any, charters will go out.

Exposure protection can vary depending on your comfort level.
I'm a transplanted northerner and I dive 1/2mm Nov and add 3mm on top of that Dec-Mar.
Most folks I know who've lived here awhile dive 5mm and some even go with 7mm though I can't imagine myself ever going that heavy,
I dove 7mm up north in Maryland with high 30's to low 40's surface temps
One thing you'll defiantely need is something to wrap up in to keep warm during surface intervals.
I usually dry off real well with a big beach towel and put on a hoodie to keep warm.I see lot's of folks wearing those dive parkas between dives.
Being from "bama, low 70's will probably feel pretty good.

Exposure protection can vary depending on your comfort level.
I'm a transplanted northerner and I dive 1/2mm Nov and add 3mm on top of that Dec-Mar.
Most folks I know who've lived here awhile dive 5mm and some even go with 7mm though I can't imagine myself ever going that heavy,
I dove 7mm up north in Maryland with high 30's to low 40's surface temps
One thing you'll defiantely need is something to wrap up in to keep warm during surface intervals.
I usually dry off real well with a big beach towel and put on a hoodie to keep warm.I see lot's of folks wearing those dive parkas between dives.
Being from "bama, low 70's will probably feel pretty good.
your right about the temp the low 70's will be kind of warm to me beings it going to be in te mid 20's at night here and mid 40's during the day so your right the 70's sounds like a heat wave.thanks for the info.

Ah yes, Hazel Green! My hometown is Huntsville, and I dive a 5-mil in Jupiter in the winter here which is plenty warm - much more likely to get cold when stripping out of it than while actually in it. Could probably do just a 3-mil given my built-in protective layer of all-natural BioPrene.

>*< Fritz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom