Techniques to take a wet lens off and on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have an INON UWL-100 with a filter attached. The lens has a 67 mm thread and screws onto the housing,
For close up shots and macro I need to take the lens off especially as at times I have to zoom.
The motion skill to take the lens off and store it in the soft pouch is a bit of an issue.
I have worked out that the best way is to put the pouch on the actual lens while it is still screwed on and then start unscrewing. At that point once the lens is removed I let the camera hang off the lanyard that I have clipped to the BCD, close and secure the pouch and put it my BCD pocket.
Once I have done I take the pouch out and similarly I screw it on and then take the pouch off.
Keeping the lens in the pouch allows me to operate holding the camera most of the time

I wonder if other people have different techniques?

Your routine seems efficient with one very important part missing and that is a leash on the lens. When i was using my WAL I had a tray with a lens dock on it for the WAL. I had a leash on the lens that was connected to the tray in the event I dropped the lens while mounting or dismounting it. There were times when that happened. The lens is too heavy for you to chase after should you drop it. A leash is the only way to save it.

I was thinking of making a lens dock where instead of screwing on a lens to a threaded lens dock, or loosening a thumbscrew on the dock to install a lens. I would have a lens dock that has friction insert (e.g. with rubber lining the interior of some ring).

As for how to prevent the lens from falling off, just to some shop and but a package of a few of these

Cable Tie, 7.5in, Pk100 - Cable Ties - Wire Management - 1A373 : Grainger Industrial Supply

I wonder if other people have different techniques?

Yes, while I do take advantage of being able to switch lenses underwater or go with the bare port, I try to decide what I intend to do before the dive and try to take only those photos that I am set up for. I guess I am still old school, my Nikonos did not have zoom lenses and there was no taking it off underwater (well you could, but you would not be happy) so I had to shoot what I had.

What is with the zoom this and zoom that and zoom, zoom, zoom stuff anyways? Pretend like you don't have a zoom, now your problem is solved maybe.

N

Yes, while I do take advantage of being able to switch lenses underwater or go with the bare port, I try to decide what I intend to do before the dive and try to take only those photos that I am set up for. I guess I am still old school, my Nikonos did not have zoom lenses and there was no taking it off underwater (well you could, but you would not be happy) so I had to shoot what I had.

What is with the zoom this and zoom that and zoom, zoom, zoom stuff anyways? Pretend like you don't have a zoom, now your problem is solved maybe.

N
Got to be old school and bring multiple cameras underwater. Some with fast film, other with B&W, yet more with WA lens and others with macro lens. Be like a topside pro.

Thanks for your replies,

That lens dock looks interesting pity the guy has stopped trading since hurricane katrina

For what concerns the INON lens holder I don't have strobe lights (this is a video set up with a tray and handle and no arms) so I would like something to attach the lens without having to buy a clamp and an arm for the purpose!!!

Back
Top Bottom