Technical diving options Barbados

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveO-UK

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone, does anyone know if there are any options/dive centers in Barbados for Technical diving, deep, sidemount, twinset, deco diving? if so who could i speak to? many thanks

Have a chat to Hazel's, they will give you independent advice and not affiliated to any dive centre. Diver Supply Barbados - Hazell's Water World

I have not seen any technical divers on my many trips to the islands. I normally dive with Barbados Blue (morning dives great but afternoon dives a bit touristy) and they do not offer technical dives, Eco-Dive also gets great reviews but doesn't offer technical dives

Lots of turtles on the Island and the Stav is good dive

Attachments

• PC070348.jpg
    PC070348.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 46
This was a link on Hazel's website to a technical dive centre

The person mentioned in that post died a few years ago on a commercial dive. He was the ONLY one who had equipment and the expertise to take out technical divers. There is nitrox at Barbados Blue and I think a couple of other shops. I have never seen a DIN valve tank anywhere so IF you found someone to take you with sidemount you would need yoke regs and since dive times are limited you would never be able to take advantage of the extra gas. That said there is a huge free diving community and many people on the island make a lot of income selling fresh caught fish to restaurants. The Barbados national record holder Alex Davis www.freedivingbarbados.com teaches and leads freediving tours spearfishing groups. I have been diving with Barbados Blue since 2015 and the guys treat divers like adults and help only as much as you need. Very environmentally aware. I disagree with the posting about the afternoon dive in the bay. I love it there. You will see more there on many days than out on the reefs. One day the dive guide and I competed for seahorse finds - we stopped at 8. Flying gunards frog fish lots of eels of different species, occasional octopus in the daytime and it is a fantastic night dive not to be missed.

Thanks for the update

I love the afternoon dives with Barbados Blue in the bay, but you do get a lot of sand kickers and mixed groups from the Cruise ships and DSD's etc but agree you can find so much, unfortunately the sea horse population was devastated by free divers during covid who were selling them, in general the bay was not quite as good in November as it was just before Covid hit but still great dives and the resident turtles are coming back

Roger is no longer diving with BB but Keira is still there with Andre some others seem to return most years and they have a great new fish spotting DM called Saba.

A couple of snaps from the bay in December

Octopus.jpg
Sand Eel Dark background.jpg

Really miss Roger and Shiv. Saba is coming along nicely as a divemaster and spotter. I found the same with the seahorse population but hopefully they will return. I usually steer clear of the mudpuppies and make sure the guide knows when I amble off and then catch up with them at the end

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom