Technical Diving Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Werger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

I am looking at bringing a group of technical diving students to Florida to complete their TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures courses. Can anyone recommend some good training sites or a possible shop to help supply logistics?

Thanks,

Craig

Where in Florida? You want caves or salt water. Florida is one of the places where you can't hardly swing a cat by the tail without running into another tech diving shop. Some of note might be:
Key West, Seaduction dive center
Tavernier Key, Conch Republic Divers
Key Largo, Silent World Dive Center
Key Largo, Horizon Dive Center
Pompano Beach, Fill Express
Marianna, Cave Adventures
Live Oak, Cave Excursions
Tampa, Tampa Scuba Diving
Orlando, Dayo Scuba

Additionally, there are 3 tech friendly liveaboards here, Spree, Kate, and Ultimate Getaway.

Narrow your choices down some and folks will be happy to tell you where to go. I've only listed the few shops I know of without going to the internet.

Freshwater options are limited. 40 Fathom is basically closed. Troy Springs is an OW site with great viz and enough depth to practice launching lift bags, etc, but 70' is about it for depth and it's not a large site.

The problem with AN/DP in freshwater in N FL for non cave trained divers is the lack of sites that offer depth to do 100'-130' deep dives without being in an overhead (I'm not a proponent of diving the AN/DP cert to it's 150' limit or going deeper than 130' even in training without some helium in the mix) .

The salt water options in the Miami area or in Key West are great however, with interesting wrecks at suitable depths, great viz, short boat rides, etc.

I'm a big fan of the Frank and Melanie on the Spree. They have their sh*t together and run a great boat. And a tech trip on the Spree with dives in the 100'-150' range would be a great way to get it done at reasonable cost to the students as the boat ride, lodging, food and fills would all be included.

I would add Pompano dive center. We will be diving with them again this year to make it 3 in a row. 2 boats, onsite trimix, accomadations at a reasonable rate in the marina complex with the shop, good staff, student freindly. Tech dive in the morning and at the tiki bar, or classroom before lunch. Can not beat it IMHO.
Eric

We have a few sites in West Palm Beach that offer great Technical training. What depths do you need? We have our own boat and can run technical trips upon request. We also offer nitrox and trimix fills, and have a full service dive shop.

Let us know if we can help in anyway.

Best,

Shana

Hello,

I am looking at bringing a group of technical diving students to Florida to complete their TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures courses. Can anyone recommend some good training sites or a possible shop to help supply logistics?

Thanks,

Craig

Captain Slate's has a new Tech Shop (Expedition Dive Center) with a phenomenal instructor. He's been diving around the world and can provide you with some of the best education out there

If you are looking for tech trips we offer them on our boat. We can target any depth you may need. from 135 - 160 ft deep that you may need on your class. If you deeper dives we have the option to 180 ft - 290 ft.

Good Luck!

You realize the thread is over 2 years old, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom