Tech fin question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeawags

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've recently broken into the tech diving world and I'm mainly interested in wreck diving. As those of you who have already done this know, there is a lot of new gear purchases involved. I am ready to find more of a tech fin. I am currently running Oceanic V12's, but I can't back kick, or easily pivot turn. Can anyone recommend a good tech fin? I'm impressed with the Hollis F1 fins, has anyone used these?

The right fin depends on your set-up and physical characteristics, but for me it's very hard to come close to the ScubaPro jetfins (with spring heels of course!) for performance, durability and value for money.

The only downside for the jetfins is the weight, they are on the heavy side! Most people, myself included find the weight of jetfins a bonus rather than a disadvantage - particularly as most people are naturally head heavy with doubles. However a lot of people find them too heavy, especially if you're diving sidemount rather than a rwintank set-up.

My vote would go for the jet fins with the OMS Slipstream (basically a lighter version) a second choice if the weight of the jetfins is a problem.

HTH!

Karl

When I first started I dove Quattro Pro's. They're still in the dive locker in fact, and my grandson now uses them. My fin of choice for a long time were Turtle's and I still have two pair that I should probably get around to selling one of these days.

When I switched from doubles to a rebreather I found I was a bit foot heavy and on the advice of a friend switched to the lighter Slipstreams. Initially they gave me leg cramps but that resolved quickly. A buddy has the Hollis's and I've tried them and liked them too but like the Turtles they are heavy -they are also BIG. Dive Rites have their fans and Jets have been popular for a long time of course.

As this indicates, a recommendation for a "best" tech fin is hard to make. Generally speaking they are all fairly similar, the primary differences being weight and stiffness. All will perform the various kick styles necessary for "tech" diving ie: frog, modified flutter, back, helo turns, etc .

I suggest you try out a variety if you can because personally, I prefer some over others and you probably will too. Most every pair of fins I've ever bought I bought used off the forums or eBay. At the price you will pay for used fins you can buy a pair of each and resell the ones you don't like. Even if you lose a bit of money (which is unlikely if you shop wisely) you'll probably still spend less in the end than if you'd bought one pair new. And no matter which fins you get the straps should be springs.

Gary

I agree with these guys. Spring straps are the way to go with any fin out there no matter what you are doing. I personally dive the Turtle and love them. I find the the weight not to be much of a problem even with diving singles as I just position my tank in a more of a head heavy manner to deal with the extra weight. As for doubles I don't even notice the extra weight as it allows me to trim out a lot easier with the extra weight towards my feet. Also you might want to look into the Hollis F1 or the Scuba Pro Seawing Nova as I know that people like the speed and the maneuverability that these fins deliver.

Don't forget that you can always try my Turtles some time. :wink:

No right answer, try to play around with a few before buying.

Personally I really like the DR fins. They are awesome in strong current and they let me get places in a hurry. Allow all kinda of kicks with ease.

I used to have jetfins, still do, but hardly ever use them. They are just super heavy.

You want a stiff paddle fin. There are many to choose from. Look at the following: Jets, Turtles, Dive Rites, Hollis F1, OMS Slipstream. I've seen tech divers wearing all of those. Personally, I own Turtles which I use with my drysuit and both Jets and Dive Rites for wetsuit diving. For me, I prefer the Dive Rites #1, Turtles #2 and the Jets #3. That doesn't mean I'm right and others are wrong. It's a preference. Any of the fins I've listed work well for tech diving. It's about finding the one that works right for you.

I don't like the turtles or the DR's, too floppy. The new EXP's may be better, but that's just my opinion. They still allow all turning and back kicks no problem, but just prefer the stiff fins. Jets are wicked heavy and at the time they didn't have foot pockets that fit me. I have a 154E foot, so I wear XL jet fins in the pool with gym socks.
With wetsuit/drysuit I use XXL OMS Slipstreams. They're lighter and stiffer than jet fins which is good, however if you aren't used to them you can/will get leg cramps from them, but most people don't have leg muscles like they think. Just vary your kick cycles a bit until you get used to them. If you're coming from the V12's any of the above fins will probably give you cramps initially, but just push through it. Eat a few bananas and make sure you change your kicks before the cramps come on.

HOG also has a good tech fin that comes with spring straps. If you can get to a good tech dive shop that stocks all of them, you'll be better off. Their foot pockets are all slightly different, and the stiffnesses vary

All of my Tec students including myself are in ScubaPro Jet fins. If they are not in those then they are in Turtle fins. When mastering the advanced kick styles technique is very important but equally important is torque and the Jet & Turtle fins provide the most torque of any fin on the market. I have tried most of the similar Tec fins, while I was able to preform the different kick styles, they just didn't preform as efficiently as the Jet/Turtles.

All of my Tec students including myself are in ScubaPro Jet fins. If they are not in those then they are in Turtle fins. When mastering the advanced kick styles technique is very important but equally important is torque and the Jet & Turtle fins provide the most torque of any fin on the market. I have tried most of the similar Tec fins, while I was able to preform the different kick styles, they just didn't preform as efficiently as the Jet/Turtles.

+1 on the fin recommendation...and for Wayne as a Tech instructor!

I use the F-1's and find them more than up to the task. I've also used the old US Divers Blades but they are a bit on the light side. Even tried Rockets and they work but kill my feet. The F-1's come with springs and 3 adjustment points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom