Tech computer: Perdix or Petrel 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Howsit everyone

I'm getting into the field of technical diving so naturally I'll be needing a tech dive computer. Ill be buying a Shearwater computer soon enough. However, I am having trouble deciding between the Petrel 2 and the Perdix.

While I know that the Perdix is smaller and will contour to the wrist better, which some divers would definitely prefer, and some features such as slightly improved colors and improved battery life, I still like the chunky profile of the Petrel 2 and the more robust materials it is made of as well as being more streamlined.

What are your opinions of the two computers? I would be grateful to hear the opinions of anyone who has one or the other, or better yet, have both and can tell the differences first hand. The bottom line is: would either option be just perfect and it is simply a matter of preference?

Ps. I have speaking of the SA versions of both. I don't dive with rebreathers, yet at least, so I wouldn't get the Fischer cable. And I wont be using the Air Integration if I went the Perdix route.

Thanks in advance!

You like the Petrel, stick with that. It really does not matter which Shearwater computer you choose, you will be happy. Did you look at the Teric?

I have and use both, one on each wrist

Personally I prefer the Perdix for size. Both have the same software.

I don't use AI either, sometimes I dive with twins and three stages

My Petrel was stolen, replaced with a Perdix AI. Much prefer it. Easier to use bungee instead of the straps which I prefer, and the screen is nicer. The transmitters I do like quite a bit and haven't had any problems with them. Don't use redundant spg's because it's a waste.

If you like the Petrel better, get it, though I would get a used one if going that route.

If you end up going CCR, you'll probably want something hardwired or with DiveCAN so getting the fischer is also a waste IMO

You like the Petrel, stick with that. It really does not matter which Shearwater computer you choose, you will be happy. Did you look at the Teric?

Thanks AJ. I did have a look at the Teric but I would say that I'm still leaning towards the Petrel/Perdix computers for their size. And the freediving mode of the Teric would be a bit redundant for me. Thanks for your answer!

. . . I still like the chunky profile of the Petrel 2 and the more robust materials it is made of as well as being more streamlined. . . .

As you probably know, the Perdix is the successor to the Petrel, and I suspect the Petrel may be phased out eventually in favor of the Perdix, Teric, and whatever newer models. I bought my Petrel before the Perdix existed, but part of what attracted me to the Petrel over some other computers was that "chunky" look--apparently built like a tank. But appearances may be deceiving. The Petrel got a small ding near the battery compartment, flooding it and requiring me to pay to have it serviced. My theory is that the chamfered edge of the battery compartment is a vulnerability because the case is simply thinner there. In summary, the Perdix is great, and I see no reason to choose an older model UNLESS you are looking for a bargain on a used computer. Used Petrels are GREAT buys, in my opinion.

My Petrel was stolen, replaced with a Perdix AI. Much prefer it. Easier to use bungee instead of the straps which I prefer, and the screen is nicer. The transmitters I do like quite a bit and haven't had any problems with them. Don't use redundant spg's because it's a waste.

If you like the Petrel better, get it, though I would get a used one if going that route.

If you end up going CCR, you'll probably want something hardwired or with DiveCAN so getting the fischer is also a waste IMO

Apart from the obvious changes in size and the richer screen of the Perdix as well as a few extra hours of battery life (which I don't think would be too much of a loss since I would carry spare double AAs wherever I may be just in case), are the two computers exactly the same?

Perhaps the differences are only noticeable to divers who had owned a Petrel but then moved onto the Perdix. For me, having not owned a Shearwater before, there would not be a feeling of missing out if I choose the one over the other?

As you probably know, the Perdix is the successor to the Petrel, and I suspect the Petrel may be phased out eventually in favor of the Perdix, Teric, and whatever newer models. I bought my Petrel before the Perdix existed, but part of what attracted me to the Petrel over some other computers was that "chunky" look--apparently built like a tank. But appearances may be deceiving. The Petrel got a small ding near the battery compartment, flooding it and requiring me to pay to have it serviced. My theory is that the chamfered edge of the battery compartment is a vulnerability because the case is simply thinner there. In summary, the Perdix is great, and I see no reason to choose an older model UNLESS you are looking for a bargain on a used computer. Used Petrels are GREAT buys, in my opinion.

Part of the reason why the Petrel also catches my eye is most tech divers I know still use their Petrels and swear by them. And those guys have plenty of money on hand so its not as though they couldn't afford the Perdix if they wanted it..

As I had mentioned, since the DiveCAN and Fischer versions (Petrel) and the AI (Perdix) wont be applying to me, that leaves the standard editons which cost literally the same amount to the tee. And in terms of buying used, in my case I would have either one bought in the States which will make either choice much cheaper than any used Petrel I could find here in Africa or there. That is what makes it a tough decision for me. They cost exactly the same and have the same features and algorithms as each other. Which only leaves appearance.

I have both - started with Petrel 2 and moved to the Perdix when AI was available. (I do need to go ahead and sell that Petrel 2.)

If you don't care about the air integration, they're functionally identical. I might even prefer the Petrel's slightly bigger display.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom