Tearing the Suunto console apart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkerr

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I decided to take my vyper console apart and wrist mount the computer and compass. I think I have those figured out. My question has to do with the SPG. Does this need to be in a boot. I know it will work without one, but should I be worried about it being broken? I would prefer to keep it since it works perfectly, is relatively small (when not wrapped in the huge console), and is in 100psi incriments. Is there any place I can find a boot solely fore the SPG? I asked my LDS and they could not find one.
Thanks
Doug

The DIR chaps say you SHOULDN'T use a boot with an spg. The rest of us like the extra protection they give.

In answer to your questions; yes it will be fine without a boot, if you really want one they are available separately (not sure where you might get one stateside) or maybe a DIR chap will give you his old one:wink:

I too switched from console to wrist for my Vyper computer. I used the SPG with no boot for a couple dives and it was fine but the Suunto SPG is plastic and not heavy duty brass like the DIR guys use so I was worried it might break. I ended up ordering a Suunto SPG boot from an LDS. It's the newer style boot with the little attachment points on the sides and top which is nice for attaching a bolt snap to for clipping it off on my BC. You should be able to order the boot from any SeaQuest dealer.

dkerr once bubbled...
Is there any place I can find a boot solely fore the SPG? I asked my LDS and they could not find one.
Thanks
Doug

Is the console the older, larger style, or the newer modular design that make the Vyper look similar to a Cobra?

If it's the modular design, you could take the top off the Vyper piece and mount it to the top of the SPG. Though I haven't done it yet I have straps for my Vyper which I'm going to try wristmounting it to see how I like it. When I remove the center module with the computer, the compass attachs to the SPG. It's a pretty neat setup.

Look at Suunto's website to see the newer module design. I would think that your LDS who carrys Suunto products would be able to get one of these boots for you as a spare part.

Marc

FLL Diver,
Only the compass part is modular. The computer and SPG are contained in a one piece boot.
nickjb,
Like GP said, the SPG is plastic and that makes me a little concerned about not having it protected. I could probably get away with it for a while, but that one time when someone gets clumsy I am suddenly left without a SPG. DIR I am deffinately not, but these are some of the first steps to Not Doing It So Wrong!
I will have to contact another LDS to find the boot. I don't think mine is a SeaQuest dealer.
Thanks
Doug

Have you consider ebay as an alternative to dismemberment?

Perhaps you could sell your present console and then purchase a Vyper and a brass SPG that you could feel comfortable using without the boot... you might even find these on ebay as well and come out close $ for $

Used Suunto consoles bring big bucks on eBay... :tease: that's where my empty one ended up.

Although I haven't had any problems with the unprotected Suunto SM-36 SPG - although it's on a short 24" hose and is clipped off the the waist D-ring, which definitely keeps it out from underfoot while gearing up.

Sorry guys I know I am reviving a really old thread here, but it was exactly what I was looking for. I was hoping in the several years since this was last posted to, someone might know of a place to easily get this SM-36 pressure gauge boot.

Anyone regularly diving the SM-36 without a boot and having no issues?

I also want the rubber style boot. The naked guage I just don't trust. And the plastic single console is too clunky.

Just "spare part" the gauge and get a small stand-alone compact pressure gauge for under $100 US. Many people like the small, compact Scuba pro pressure gauge; but there are others, unless I misunderstood you.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom