Info TDI Rebreather Cavern/Intro to Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning on doing this these courses combined next year, and I'm wondering if anyone can share their own experiences.

The overall experience will be dependent on your instructor and the location where you will be taking your class.

I assume that you don't have prior cave training on OC and you are doing it on CC for the first time.

You are expected to practice diving fundamentals before you start the class, there is not much time to mature these during the class. All those can be practiced anywhere, including a pool. We used to put into a pool benches, weights and other objects to practice running a line.

Some of the fundamentals skills that you will be expected to demonstrate:

1. Proficiency in trim, bouyancy and a proper finning technique (frog kick at least) since intro puts you into the cave, on the gold line.

2. Using primary reel to run the line, making tie offs and connecting to another line.

3. For the lost line search while blinded (lights out or mask cover) you will be using your safety reel. You need to know how to use it by feel and not jam it (or fix it when it happens) in darkness. I prefer to use finger spools but they have their downsides. Whatever you choose, practice ahead.

4. Your configuration needs to be streamlined, including your bailouts. Common practice in cave diving is to sidemount your bailouts and stage cylinders. It may include 2 AL80 (bailout) and an AL40 (O2 for deco). I recommend to figure out the configuration and practice ahead.

5. Taking off and putting on your deco bottle; also bottle exchange: passing a bailout cylinder to another diver, while receiving theirs, in mid water, in trim and bouyancy as you do that.

6. Bailout to OC for a prolonged swim in depth-changing topography (that will be exiting the cave on the bailout). Essentially going to OC sidemount while managing your counter lungs bouyancy in addition to your wing and dry suit (if you use one)

Big difference to your experience if you have a dive buddy that will be taking the class with you and you have the opportunity to practice together before the class

Having the fundamentals under your belt will allow you to focus on cave specific techniques taught in the class, making it much more enjoyable experience.

Good luck in your journey to the dark side.

Disregard. Saw this was CCR.

Thanks for your great reply...there are lots of good points.

You're assumption is right that I don't have any OC cave experience, and I'm starting directly on CC.

My drills I've identified that I wanted to practice are:

Blind bailout
Blind retrieving and attaching bailout
Blind exit
Blind return from jump
Jump and tie off
Arrow and cookie marking

As far as I know I'm the only one signed up for the course, and won't be doing it with someone locally, so I'll be practicing these skills on my own.

You're assumption is right that I don't have any OC cave experience, and I'm starting directly on CC.

Blind bailout
Blind exit
Blind return from jump
Jump and tie off
Arrow and cookie marking

As far as I know I'm the only one signed up for the course, and won't be doing it with someone locally, so I'll be practicing these skills on my own.

No harm in practicing jumps and use of cookies & arrows but be advised that TDI intro to cave restricts you to the gold line (no navigation decisions). I doubt this will be included in class. However running a reel from the open water to the gold line is an inherent part of the class and the technique is very similar to running a jump line.

Blind bailout
Blind exit
Blind return from jump
Jump and tie off
Arrow and cookie marking

I’d really encourage some OC cave experience first. Secondly, I hope your instructor doesn’t allow you to take the class by yourself, as you’re at a great disadvantage having an instructor as a teammate rather than someone of the same level.

No harm in practicing jumps and use of cookies & arrows but be advised that TDI intro to cave restricts you to gold line (no navigation decisions). I doubt this will be included in class. However running a reel from the open water to the gold line is an inherent part of the class and the technique is very similar.
Course standards say to have 3 line arrows, and that's also what I was told by the instructor...so I assume they're going to be used at some point?

Course standards say to have 3 line arrows, and that's also what I was told by the instructor...so I assume they're going to be used at some point?
Yes, I stand corrected. At least for the lost line drill, upon finding the line, you tie your search reel to it and then mark your (guessed) exit direction with an arrow. Some folks will mark their primarily line to the gold line with an arrow (folks do it to ID their line) but it is not really needed for an emergency exit.

Yes, I stand corrected. At least for the lost line drill, upon finding the line, you tie your search reel to it and then mark your (guessed) exit direction with an arrow. Some folks will mark their primarily line to the gold line with an arrow (folks do it to ID their line) but it is not really needed for an emergency exit.

Makes sense.

Apparently mask removal with constant line contact is also a skill? I'm absolutely looking forward to that...

If your rebreather breaks you're on OC.

Learn how to cave dive OC first.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom