TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures with a Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adrirulez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone!

I have been wanting to start the TDI advanced nitrox and Deco procedure courses and I don't intend to use trimix . One of the biggest reason I haven't really started was the upfront cost of the two courses and the two Perdix I had to buy. Now I see the Peregrine allows 3 gases and O2 up to 100% so it looks to me that it would be the perfect budget friendly computer to take the course and start the journey in tec.

One of my local dive shop has told me that I can't take the TDI courses with the Peregrine and that I can take it only if I buy two Perdix, no other options because the Peregrine doesn't' have the right algorithm (I believe they refer to the Optional VPM-B algorithm).

I'd love to know the opinion of you great people, are they right or can I get buy and save 1000$ for two peregrine instead of two Perdix?

Cheers!

I would possibly have a discussion with a few other instructors and see what they have to say. There is no TDI requirement that you have to have 2 Perdix’s for AN/DP.

I would possibly have a discussion with a few other instructors and see what they have to say. There is no TDI requirement that you have to have 2 Perdix’s for AN/DP.

Thank you! You are right, I have to speak to a few more instructors. It seems that some are more interested in selling gear than education!

as a tdi it,........ i am starting to teach a tdi adv/deco instructor course , for 2 instructor candidates .....there is NO requirement to buy those 2 computers at user level or instructor level......computer(s) are needed but its up to the students what to buy /rent/ borrow

Thank you! You are right, I have to speak to a few more instructors. It seems that some are more interested in selling gear than education!

As side note if you need some recommendations for instructors in San Diego let me know. I also teach AN/DP but I am based out of AZ. Close enough to know some good ones though.

i would avoid that shop like a plague, i personally tech dive with a single computer because i have enough redundancy within my buddy team, but i believe any respectable tech instructors to allow their students to take courses with any two functional bottom timers. Good luck on your search for a suitable instructor

One of my local dive shop has told me that I can't take the TDI courses with the Peregrine and that I can take it only if I buy two Perdix, no other options because the Peregrine doesn't' have the right algorithm (I believe they refer to the Optional VPM-B algorithm).
Not only is this nonsense -- as stated in several other posts -- I would avoid taking the class from any instructor/shop that demanded use of VPM-B. "Not that there is anything wrong with VPM-B" but rather it suggests a mindset and knowledge-base that are not up-to-date.

Good gravy!

That is obnoxious and blatant dishonesty (or gross ignorance).

I would turn away from that instructor and shop.

I’d walk away from that shop /instructor

BUT if you wish to carry on past ANDP I’d think hard about buying a fairly spendy computer that doesn’t do Trimix and consider saving for one that does, or buy a used computer which will be around the same cost.
If ANDP is as far as you wanna go I think the peregrine is a great option.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom