TBR Sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sphyon

Admin
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy!

So last year the wife won a DiveHeart raffle for a free trip to turquoise bay. Pretty jazzed about it but I do have questions as it will be our first trip to Roatan. We arrive in late June.

First, I generally am cave diving in our local Florida springs so I don't get much time in back mount on boats aside from the occasional trip to the keys. Would sidemount be viable at TBR? I can make back mount work but I havent dove that way for two years at least now.

Second, how are the dive ops at TBR? Would a guide be smart or no? What are conditions on that part of the island like?

Lastly, what other things are there to do in the area? Most of what I see is down on west end.

I know some of these questions have been beat up but I would love some recent experiences and tips. I am definitely nervous near all those beaches and stingy eye waters!

Love supporting DiveHeart, good on you.

As you say, TBR and Roatan is all pre-beat-up here on SB. All the info you need and more is here.

“side mount” is a rather vague and so I got nothing. If you’re asking if that configuration will fit into TBRs tank racks, pull up pictures of their off-prem’s dive op boats and have a look. Anything will fit into any rack...are you ask8ng if it will take up more rack space than allotted? Well, since your cave diving experience doesn’t utilize boats, that size thing is irrelevant in that world. They’re set up for their norm.

I myself always counsel to use an equipment configuration appropriate for local conditions. There isn’t any cave diving on Roatan but you will be in the vicinity of 2 dive sites that might be described as only theoretically overhead environments, but only if you squint. Will your favorite configuration fit? Dunno. If It involves you bringing down your own special tank? If so, i’m done and shaking head.

The dive service as show on TBRs website is Subway. You can google them as well, they are very good, in my book, I’d give them a B+ to an A-. TBR, I’ll give a C on a Roatan scale.

More stuff that’s been beat as you said... no, absolutely nothing to do near TBR. The dive conditions, esp in June? Should be dead flat calm. No shore diving.

Would a guide be smart? Once again, do a search. Every boat dive on Roatan is guided. If you want to see anything except your faceplate, yes- of course, stay with your DM. Divers who need to wander off and explore, they will see nothing, unless they have advanced naturalist skills and localized experience.

This zone is about slow and shallow, not staring at your gauges.

. I am definitely nervous near all those beaches and stingy eye waters!

What’s that again?

Enjoy your DiveHeart prize.

You might get some funny looks and possibly pushback if you are diving double sidemount but if you show up with your gear ready to dive single sidemount then enjoy your funny looks and dive.

Love supporting DiveHeart, good on you.

As you say, TBR and Roatan is all pre-beat-up here on SB. All the info you need and more is here.

“side mount” is a rather vague and so I got nothing. If you’re asking if that configuration will fit into TBRs tank racks, pull up pictures of their off-prem’s dive op boats and have a look. Anything will fit into any rack...are you ask8ng if it will take up more rack space than allotted? Well, since your cave diving experience doesn’t utilize boats, that size thing is irrelevant in that world. They’re set up for their norm.

I myself always counsel to use an equipment configuration appropriate for local conditions. There isn’t any cave diving on Roatan but you will be in the vicinity of 2 dive sites that might be described as only theoretically overhead environments, but only if you squint. Will your favorite configuration fit? Dunno. If It involves you bringing down your own special tank? If so, i’m done and shaking head.

The dive service as show on TBRs website is Subway. You can google them as well, they are very good, in my book, I’d give them a B+ to an A-. TBR, I’ll give a C on a Roatan scale.

More stuff that’s been beat as you said... no, absolutely nothing to do near TBR. The dive conditions, esp in June? Should be dead flat calm. No shore diving.

Would a guide be smart? Once again, do a search. Every boat dive on Roatan is guided. If you want to see anything except your faceplate, yes- of course, stay with your DM. Divers who need to wander off and explore, they will see nothing, unless they have advanced naturalist skills and localized experience.

This zone is about slow and shallow, not staring at your gauges.

What’s that again?

Enjoy your DiveHeart prize.

Fair enough yeah, really I was wondering how often it happens and what the overall attitude of the ops are toward it. I have no real problem with breaking out the yolks and backplate, just wondering if I can save the weight and bother by packing sidemount and doing single tank dives.

If given the option I probably would have chosen CCV rather than TBR just for the shore diving but as you mention there is none in the area I suppose backmount it is!

Just wondering, what gives TBR a C for you? Anything I should note?

Back
Top Bottom