Tax related and or price breaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay guys im new to diving with just my open water cert. continuing my training as we speak. I am a member of my local water rescue team I have all all my warmer gear in check, looking to buy a dry suit setup soon but have a few questions.

First question: Between the DUI public safety suit and the HOG's version what would be your choice? Or what instead?

second question: Is there any chance any of the gear or training im paying for out of pocket qualify for a tax write off or any other type of discount? All the equipment we use is our own personal and we receive no funding other than an occasional donation.

Thanks in advance!

Question one - I admit that I am biased being a HOG dealer but if your budget is limited as it sounds like it may be cost would be a major consideration. I don't know what the exact price of the DUI suit is but I can tell you what the MAP is on the HOG suit and it looks to be about $1000.00 less than the DUI. It is available with all the options that the DUI is. The actual manufacturer for the HOG suit has been around for many years and makes a lot of suits for the military and commercial dive fields.

The HOG suit uses SiTech replaceable seals instead of the DUI zip seals. The HOG suit also comes standard with a relief zipper. It doesn't look like the DUI does but I know one can be added.

How soon are you looking to pull the trigger on one? I ask because I will be in Columbus for Scubafest in March. Have my booth already reserved and paid for. I could take your measurements and give you an exact quote on a suit. I can also email you the size chart and custom order form and get you a quote on a complete system. You could then base your decision on real costs after getting with your team and tax professional.

Question two: Is your team registered in any way with the state? Is it officially affiliated with any law enforcement, fire dept, or other recognized public safety entity? If you and you can get that in writing you MIGHT be able to take some kind of claim. Before doing so you need to check with the IRS or reputable tax professional.

Jim thanks for the response.

Im not in a huge hurry to buy a dry suit setup I was actually figuring in march or april. The local dive shop in port clinton ohio has given me prices on the DUI setups and has been kind enough to give me a decent discount on the gear since it will partially be used for a good cause. Im going to try the dui setup in the pool at his next training session. I have a big interest in the HOG public safety but I think the closest dealer was in akron ohio.

I didnt realize there was an in event in Columbus, thanks for letting me know this I am definitely making the trip to check it out.

I'll have to check with some people on how official the rescue team is but we do get toned threw my fire depts pager and county for assistance in some situations.

If you could please send me some more info for a quote on the HOG suit karlb@fpm.net

Thanks for the help.

If you can show affiliation with an established team either as an employee or volunteer, equipment purchased out of pocket can be written off. Personal gear (masks, fins, bags, uniforms) are the responsibility of each of our team members and I know most of them hand over the receipts to their tax professionals.

As for price breaks, all of our team members order and pay through the dive team from several different online vendors and local shops. By doing this these vendors have been generous enough to provide us with Pro/Govt pricing since we are a commercial account.

If you can show you are on or part a P/S dive team you can get a very good discound from Scuba Toys in Carrollton Texas. Just bought a Whites P/S Dry suite just pick it up today.
I got a better deal on Whits than DUI, Whites are what several dive teams dive around here

Why are you looking at a HOG or DUI suit? Viking would be my strong recommendation, especially when you consider the risk of contaminated water diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom