Question Taveuni diving on the cheap ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm considering a trip to Taveuni about this time in 2023. At heart, I'm a cheap bastard and would like to find a competent dive charter that doesn't require me to stay in a resort.

Can someone suggest operators that would accommodate this?

Many thanks in advance

Based on my limited experience, I don't think what you want to do is a practical option. If for no other reason, I don't know how you would go about eating. There is only one small town on the island that has limited shopping and there are no dive operators near there, that I recall. I don't even think there is a rental car option on the island and if you want to stay in one place and dive from another place and eat wherever, you'd need a car.

You really need to pick an affordable resort that includes meals. It is the way to go.

I agree with @Trailboss123 - I don’t know if you can really do Taveuni outside of a resort (there are quite a few - all are pretty small compared to other destinations).

I was there in August, stayed at Paradise Taveuni and loved it - $2,900 for 10N/11D with 8 days of 3 tank boat dives, a night dive and unlimited shore diving on their house reef (quite good), as well as all meals. To me that was a good deal for a gorgeous resort.

taveuni ocean sports near nakia resort or salt diver taveuni up towards the airport. salt diver and maravu plantation is probably the cheapest combination left as dolphin bay divers was a pandemic casualty. with that said, paradise taveuni does offer compelling value because of their house reef for some extra shore diving at your leisure.

if you do the math on the package at paradise taveuni, the value breaks down to about 1000 for the room, 1200 for the 24 boat dives, 600 for the meals. there really aren't much savings unless if you want to do fewer dives per day (in which case you could probably get a customized package anyways from paradise taveuni) and cook your own meals with a fairly limited menu from what is available from the small market near the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom