Tattoos and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamweldonjohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, random question for anyone who dives and has a tat, but here goes...

I want to get a tattoo, but I will be going to the Turks and Caicos on April 19th. Is two weeks enough heal time to go diving or should I wait until after the break?

Wait. Seriously- you dont want the color to fade, and it will if its exposed to water that much, and sunlight when its that fresh. If its not a life or death thing, wait until you can do it right. Its not something you want to screw up. (I THINK.. emphasis on THINK that I read somewhere that all the water exposure can raise the risk of infection?? But I could be wrong...) Anyway... thats just my 0.02. When I got mine done, kept it nice and dry (with the exception of showering) until it was completley healed!

Anyway.. what are you getting???

I second what Kayla said. If'n you's only gots two weeks to heal, put it off. If you don't, the terrorists will have won.

last one i got, the dude said no diving for 2 weeks, so ask your dude or dudette what they recommend.

Play it safe.... tats are (more or less) forever, wait until you get back. The sun is far tougher on tats than the water will be, but don't chance it.

I would wait as well. It would probably be healed by then, but if you had any problems with it healing what so ever, you would risk the color fading and be more prone to it becoming infected. That much water and sun wouldn't be good for a new tat...

Just working on a new article for Dive Zero magazine on scuba and tattoos & piercings...

Here's an excerpt...

"Keep it dry. No soaking in water, swimming, hot tubbing for 2-3 weeks. Of course you can keep clean with a quick shower, but if the healing area soaks up water it will be like going swimming when you were a kid and had a scab. Remember how the water logged scab would float away…well, there goes your new tattoo. Seriously, no diving!
For the first 2-3 weeks, use moisturizer. When you feel the tattoo getting a bit tight or dry, feed it moisture! The more you do, the quicker the skin will heal over. The idea here is to PREVENT SCABBING. A scab will be the pigment pulled up and out onto the surface. Obviously, the brightest tattoo comes from leaving the pigment beneath the surface. The best possible healing will be a couple of peels, like after a bad sunburn.

Avoid getting tattooed at the start of a dive vacation. Not only does it take you out of the water, it takes you out of the sun. You should have no direct sunlight for 2-3 weeks, nor use sunscreen on your tattoo. This is absolutely vital with red ink, as it develops a photosensitivity and gives you an amazingly intense itch from the reaction. With every color of ink…even black…the sun is a major cause of new tattoos looking blurred. Face it, tattoos have a phobia of the sun. Even later, always use a sunblock to reduce fading in the sun."

Thanks for posting the article, Cindy (excellent job, by the way). I, too, am considering a tattoo and want to do it right.

There are several threads about this subject. I suggest you do a :search:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom