Tanks, To Buy or Rent ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobb

Reaction score
I've looked through the posts and didn't find anything on this subject...So, what are the advantages of owning your own tank/s? My LDS just last Monday, said that with all the rentals I've had (approx. 30) that I could have bought my own tank...here's my thoughts on the matter.
1. If I own it, I've got to get it Hydro'd every 5 yrs (or 6)(approx. $20 -$30)
2. I have to have it VIP'd every year (approx. $12 - $18)
3. Air fills cost me $4 (If I owned the tank)

As it is: I pay $8 every time I want to rent a tank.
I don't worry about the Vip or Hydro...
the negative side...If I don't get a tank on Friday or Saturday...I can't go diving on Sunday....
Am I missing something?
Thanks....

I generally go for the half tracks... oops...

Actually, when it comes to garden variety 80's, renting can make a lot of sense, unless you do a LOT of diving. However, they don't have the 120s that I like to wear for rent. Consequently, being an air hog means a huge investment in tanks.

:tease:

Nuttin' beats the convenience of having your own gear.

Mike

I own my own tanks why? because I could.

renting is nice right untill your boss gives you a day off
work and the dive shop doesn't open until 11 am IF you had your own tanks you could've done a two tank dive already.

Pros of owning:
- Don't have to return to dive shop after each dive trip
- More flexibility -- not as subject to dive shop hours
- If you buy, most shops will give you some number of free fills (you may have to negotiate this)
- You get to chose what kind of tank you want -- if you want steel or large capacity, many shops may not have for rental
- You take care of it and ensure it is well maintained
- No changes in buoyancy from switching to "unknown" tanks
- If you are doing 15+ dives per season, much better financial decision over the long run to own

Pros of renting:
- Better on the short term cash flow (no big up front outlay)
- If you aren't diving much, makes sense financially
- Don't have to take care of the tank
- Doesn't take up room in your house/apt./dwelling

LD - you missed that when you own you may get that funny look from the gas boy when you return for the third time in the same day to get filled up...

Bob -
I would say that you can reasonable use the analogy to owning your own home over renting - it's an investement and after some time it is yours to do whatever you want with.

The price varies with the kind of tanks you get - I have LP 104s and they are pricier than AL80's - but I also tend to get 6 - 12 dives in every week (wonder why my car looks like a tank rack?), My tnaks has paid for themselves and then some and they are bigger than what you can rent...

Big T

Another consideration on owning vs. renting is the cost of the rental. I have rented from 3 shops now. One is $5 to rent, one is $7 and one is $8. So obviously at 8 dollars a rental it is probably worth buying, but at $5 how much will you be saving.

I have mine filled at Clear Springs scuba Park in Texas when I dive and the fillup is $5.00 so the cost to own is more expensive cause I shelled out for the tank and if I rent at 5 with air included I can rent 3 tanks for $15 and not have to fill up or cause wear and tear on my gear.

But I like knowing the tank I have and having the freedom to dive whenever I want cause I have a fresh tank but I usually rent a 2nd tank so I can do 2 dives without filling up so I can relax during the surface interval.

I will be buying another tank as soon as fund permit so I will be properly prepared for any diving emergency, such as seeing a pond that yearns to be dove in.

But you need to wiegh the rental costs, inspection costs and fill costs to determine when if ever you will break even.

Good job LD. You covered it good. My Favorite reason to own is to go where I want when I want. We have had many spur of the moment dives just because the tanks where on the boat and ready. ( of course the boat is another matter all together )

Back
Top Bottom