Tanks and Air Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
As I work towards completing my cert for Advanced Nitrox/Deco, I had a question that I'd like to hear from the gallery about....

I do plan on obtaining a AL30 or 40 and get it O2 cleaned for use as my deco stage bottle. And when I go on trips I might desire to take this cylinder with me and have it filled on arrival and before I hop onto the boat. This cylinder would be used as an independant gas source (being *very* aware of FO2's and MOD's) and at my safety stops so I can get out of the water just a bit cleaner than than if I was just on air.

When flying on a major airline, what considerations to I need to understand or undertake with this cylinder so that the airline will allow me to pack it with me in my checked baggage (aka my gear footlocker)??

The last thing I heard about traveling with any tanks (spare air or pony) was that they had to have the valve removed.

I'll be interested in finding out if this is the case or not.

Yeah any tanks must have their valves removed when shipped by air. If you order tanks it's better to have them ground shipped. On trips...rent.

When you buy the tank it will come with a plastic plug in it. Keep it! You can use it to plug the tank neck when the valve is off. If you don't get it or lose it use some tape to cover the neck. Just about any kind works in a pinch.

The Luxfer will come oxygen compatible. Order a nitrox valve with it and you will be set for the first year. No need to pay someone to clean a clean setup.

omar

Jeblis...Can see your point on renting, but there might be the time where the shop doesn't have the AL30/40, and I want to include it in my proviles.

Omar (and others)...do I need to plan on opening up my dive bag/locker to show the proper person that the valve has been removed?

And any concerns with getting the tape's stickum on the tank threads? Should any precautions be taken on the valve while it's removed to ensure it remains O2 clean?

I work for Delta Air Lines, and have checked the rules we currently have on tanks. All tanks must have less than 40psi in them.

**Note** I work in Aircraft Maintenance, not Customer Service. The rules could have changed, and simply not be updated yet. Please contact that airline you are flying the day before departure.

I believe you only need to show that the tank is empty, and don't need to remove the valve. But, another member of this board works for an airline (I don't remember who), so maybe he'll pop in and give us the official word.

Back
Top Bottom