tank valve help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Positron

Registered
Reaction score
hello, i'm a paintball player, i just bought a 3180 psi 120 cf steel tank, it has the valve with a threaded adapter, my fill station that i use to fill air tanks for paintball has the slide in adapter, which has a bolt that screws in from the rear so it doesnt slide out, were can i buy a piece that screws into my valve's adapter to make it into the slide in kind, i saw one online that came with a tank, but i would prefer to buy just the tiny screw in peice than a new 300+$ tank

p.s. arnt the two types called vin, and yoalk (spelling)?

thank you for your help

i did some checking, i have a din valve, i need a screw in yoke adapter, were can i find one, anyone know?

If the tank you bought has a DIN valve, you will need what's known as a DIN fill adaptor.

Basically, they look like a brass screw-in plug with rounded O rings on the sides. You can usually buy them from a dive store for about $35 USD.

BTW, just how many forums on this board did you post this to? :wink:

~SubMariner~

one ended up in the travel section, im not sure how, and then i added a reply to another post about that topic

Originally posted by SubMariner
If the tank you bought has a DIN valve, you will need what's known as a DIN fill adaptor.

Basically, they look like a brass screw-in plug with rounded O rings on the sides. You can usually buy them from a dive store for about $35 USD.

BTW, just how many forums on this board did you post this to? :wink:

~SubMariner~

I don't know what the exact situation is in the US, but there are two types of DIN.

DIN 5 thread is for less than about 3200 PSI (230 Bar)

DIN 7 thread is for high pressure tanks (upto 4500 PSI)

I have only ever seen DIN 5 thread adaptors, and not the 7 thread ones (to stop you using 4500PSI on a yoke fitting regulator!!). If they can be easily bought I want one!!!!

Jon T

Jon, now you've got me wondering about the number of threads on my DIN. :confused:

I'm in North America, and use 80 HP Steel tanks that fill to 3500 PSI (sorry, don't know what that is in BAR).

Needless to say, I've got a couple of DIN fill adaptors, but I can't for the life of me remember whether they are 5 or 7 thread. In fact, I dont' recall anyone ever mentioning two different DINs here in NA.

The things you learn on this board. :thumb:

~SubMariner~

In the US we generally just refer to these as 200 or 300 bar DIN. You rarely see the 200 bar here any more, but Europeans will come here with theirs, so you guys who have shops, be alert for them. I rented tanks to some German divers and did not look carefully enough at their regs. They were 200 bar and the tanks were 300. The boat's divemaster saved the day with some extra gear! Boy, were they PO'd! (We made it up to them).
Neil

OK.

I only knew about the 200 Bar Din because it is the old standard for cave diving in the UK. When 300 Bar Din came along most people in the UK converted to that, and reg manufacturers in most countries now sell A clamp for low pressure, and 300Bar din for HP. There are however many people in europe with older equipment that still have 200Bar Din regs etc.. even though they aren't made any more (AFAIK).

Having said that, my pony (232 Bar) is on a 5 thread Din, and I have the 5 thread insert so I can use A-clamp if necessary, BUT my 300 Bar Din regs will fit into it (you just have 2 extra threads, and the reg sticks out a bit more)

Jon T

Positron, don't get hung up on the threads count, here's the scoop. First, take a close look at your valve and see if it has a dimple on the backside. If it does, the valve itself can be converted to "yoke"(the slide in kind) by insertion of a small chrome plated plug. Otherwise, if there is no dimple on the back of the valve, you will need a brass fitting which screws into the valve socket and protrudes about 2 inches. These are fairly cheap and available at most dive shops.

If your tank is rated 3180 psi it is most likely a Faber/Italy high pressure tank. This type of tank has a neck with a standard 3/4 inch straight pipe thread. A yoke valve can be substituted for the DIN which these tanks are normally supplied with. A yoke valve, rated for 3000 psi working pressure, can be found on E Bay for about 20-30 bucks which is probably less than you would have to pay for an adapter. I would suggest you buy a new or nearly new "Thermo" valve for this price.

Before doing any of the above, make sure the yoke valve is compatible with your tank to paintball fill setup.

I bought a stainless steel elbo type adapter, for the low price of 60$ :) but it has a seperate collar that screws down, thus you can face the adapter in any direction, then tighten it down, everything works well, exept for my slide check, at 3400 psi the orings were literally cut as they passed over the holes, thanks for the help everyone, it works wonderfully, good luck with your diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom