Tank to Wing for Travel rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelwindmachine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My travel BCD has been years in the making! I've been slowly accumulating the necessary parts to put this thing together and am almost at the finish line!

The wing is an Oxycheq Mach V 30#, Oxycheq Ultra-Lite back-plate, HOG (not the brand) harness, and some miscellaneous accessory pockets.

For my use perspective; I don't dive much... maybe a few times every couple of years. This rig is meant to be personal to me so I don't have to rent the atypical vest-type BCD at most destination dive shops. The moment I dove with my previous BCD, a Zeagle Express I was hooked on BP/wing-style BCs and this "custom" BC I'm building was inspired by another user on here who made a super light version using the 18# wing.

So, to my question... I have always used the plastic cam buckles for BCDs I've rented and previously owned. However, I am getting in some Dive Rite stainless cam buckles and am wondering what pro/con matrix there is between the plastic vs. metal buckles or if I should look at the Aqualung GripLock style?

I only dive single tanks, all rented at the destination dive shops.

Your insight would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• dive-rite-standard-cam-strap.jpg
    dive-rite-standard-cam-strap.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 51qyHcDpBdL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    51qyHcDpBdL._AC_SX425_.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 61opoqXzB3L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61opoqXzB3L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 106
oh. that aqualung cam sher is pertty.

metal-cool looking, have a more "positive" feeling cam when they close. Cons are they're heavy *about 1lb negative each* and that cam action hurts like hell if it catches your finger, and can bend if you drop a tank on them

plastic-less cool looking, less positive feeling cam, but you've gotta do something serious to break one. They're also a bit lighter, so in total will probably save you a pound when travel

Griplock-equipment solution to a skills problem. Extra disadvantage of being expensive, won't let the BC lay properly because it's too close to center, and since you have to fully remove the cam band, it requires 3 hands to sort it out. I've never been a fan of those general styles of cam bands.

If it is primarily for travel the weight savings of plastic is worth it, will meet all your needs. Metal is obviously more sturdy but in practice will add weight without adding substantially to reliability.

Thanks very much for the responses!

I'll be selling off whatever bits I don't use :)

I use the the aqualung quick release with no problems and no STA it has several pre adjusted Velcro positions to change tank sizes quickly. I like that you don’t always have to lift rig over the tank, and can wrap it around the tank to connect if you want. Also has the finger saver so you don’t accidentally catch you fingers. I have SS and aluminum plates but use SS more, and even travel with it with no issues. Only couple more lbs. in my carry on bag. A7B049DB-630E-4470-B774-25C5C3CECF1E.jpeg F9653E4B-9FF8-4D7C-9506-0A016E2E1556.jpeg98EE642C-2B89-4D51-B7FC-E9CA2322599A.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom