Tank Support Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divetahoe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi SB-ers,

I have an idea in development for a tank harness that would eliminate tank slippage, the need for super tight straps (and over-developed biceps necessary to tighten said strap!), and the need to get your tank strap wet before attaching the BC to the tank. The harness is easy to attach and ensures the tank will never slip from the BC.

The idea came about as I was teaching classes, and noticed that I was tightening a lot of tank straps on second dives, since many came loose while walking to and from the water or while on the dive.

I am curious for feedback from the SB community regarding a couple of issues:

1. Would you use something like this yourself or -- if you are an instructor -- for your students in your classes?
2. What would you be willing to pay for it?

I appreciate all sincere replies. Sarcastic replies will be chuckled at. :D

Good point! Don't know your solution, but there are some on the market. I have been using SeacSub2000 BC Jacket, and the strap is originally equiped with an extra rubber "plater" or what ever you like to call it. But anyway, it really works and holds even a 2*7 300bar steels (aprox 21kg) in place with a single strap (not very DIR) even the strap is length for a single so not properly installed (much less DIR, Sorry JJ).

FWIW, I think Apollo beat you to it:

http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Accessories/Tank_Lock.htm

Of course if yours could be sold under $75...

I have a rubber pad on the bottom strap of my Ranger, I've never had a tank slip, except once when I knew I didn't tighten it correctly. But I was just walking from the truck to the beach. It is a PITA to get the straps to tighten properly sometimes.

I almost bought a Mares Air-lock once, glad now I didn't.

And there's those cam tensioners that someone here sells. I've not tried them.

I think for your idea to be successful it would have to absolutely work and be easier to use than the current velcro/cam systems. And universal enough so that it also works across most BC mfr's product lines.

I'd pay $25-35 for something proven to work. This just isn't a huge concern of mine since I've never had a problem but if I could get something guaranteed to work, I'd definitely consider it.

my .02

Halcyon *octogrip* cambands have a rubberized gripping surface on them. Since there are two of them on a Halcyon backplate singles rig they seem to hold a tank very securely even with dry cambands that loosen a bit when wet. I don't use an STA (single tank adapter) nor do I crank the bands down super tight but it is still a rock solid hookup.

If your plain cambands are slipping you might want to switch to *octogrip* bands or just buy a can of rubber tool handle dip and paint some on the inside of your cambands.

So... to more directly answer your questions:
1. no
2. n/a

divetahoe:
1. Would you use something like this yourself or -- if you are an instructor -- for your students in your classes?

I already do. My BC came with rubber pads on the cam straps which eliminate the problems you mentioned.

divetahoe:
2. What would you be willing to pay for it?

Aftermarket pads are available from Deep Sea Supply for $10.00. Can you beat that?

http://deepseasupply.com/page13.html Scroll down, second item from the bottom.

Thanks to all who have responded thus far.

The product (patent pending) is called a TightieWhitie(tm) and it works differently than the Apollo Bio Lock, in that it doesn’t replace existing straps on the BCD; it provides additional support from the bottom of the tank. It works well enough in my testing that the BCD tank strap didn’t have to be tightened at all, it simply had to be there.

TightieWhities will sell individually for less than $25 (discounts for retailers, dive pros, shops and dive boats) and should work with any existing BCD.

I am currently manufacturing a limited number to use as a gauge to determine the viability of the product in the marketplace to coincide with some advertising to start later in the summer. The TightieWhities should be available within the next 30 days in a variety of colors (white, red, blue, yellow, green and -of course- black).

Of course I will announce their availability immediately here on SB! :eyebrow:

Thanks again for your considered responses.

3dent:
I already do. My BC came with rubber pads on the cam straps which eliminate the problems you mentioned.

Aftermarket pads are available from Deep Sea Supply for $10.00. Can you beat that?

http://deepseasupply.com/page13.html Scroll down, second item from the bottom.

Different solution. Besides, rubber pads can still slip if (1) the diver doesn't tighten the strap enough and, (2) especially if the tank has a protective net or skin on it...

TightieWhities won't slip and won't harm a tank skin. :D

Uncle Pug:
Sew in a couple of shiny D-rings, label them *techsomething* and you can probably up your price on the black ones. :D

You must be in marketing! :wink:

divetahoe:
TightieWhities won't slip and won't harm a tank skin. :D

WRT question 2 of your original post, I personally wouldn't buy 'TightieWhities' at any price.

But I'm the kind of guy that can't bring himself to order "Moons over My Hammy" at Denny's, no matter how good they taste.

Sorry, but that's a really bad name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom