Tank Storage-In Fishboxes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UFG8R

Registered
Reaction score
Having trouble finding storage for tanks. I have a 22ft McKee Craft open console with (2) 170qt fishboxes and (1) huge 275 qt fishbox up front. I've determined my best option for tank storage and transport will be IN the fishboxes or on the open forward deck. Racks and roll control simply are not options as the only place available to mount a track would be across the stern which will put way too much weight in the back or the boat.

What I am thinking is some sort of removable foam mold that could be made to fit in the fishbox that would fit 6-8 108cu steel tanks. I could probably fit 3-4 tanks in each side fishbox.

Has anyone tried such a thing? Any other ideas on securing the tanks inside the fishboxes? The pool noodles wont provide enough protection. I also need to protect the tank valves from forward/back movement as they will be placed in line.

Consider the component parts of the problem:

Distributing the weight of the tanks evenly on the bottom of the box.
Keeping the tanks from getting airborne (do not underestimate this).
Keeping the tanks from rolling or sliding perpendicular to the axis of the tank.
Keeping the tanks along the axis of the tank.
Tanks come in various diameters and heights.
It would be really nice to be able to carry one set of setup gear per diver.

I take these fish boxes are built-in?

My long trips I have 4 divers with gear for 2 dives on board. I need to get weight forward on my 26 foot Seaswirl so I have a 6 tank pelican rack tied down between the v-berths

Maybe store them upright and lashed down with ratchet straps? Pics would help here with ideas.

I don't have any pics of my boat but they are identical to the ones pictured below. I only have two side fishboxes. The picure shows the 28ft boat with two additional boxes, one either side of the console. My rear boxes also do not have the rod holder inserts.

86155702_6.jpg

They are angled so I will only be able to place two tanks in-line and lying down, one in front of the other. What I would need is a mold of the inside of the fish box and a pourable expanding foam with a cradle or custom cutout for steel 108cu. tanks. What I imagine is something like these, but solid foam filling the whole fishbox.
With only two tanks per box, the foam should distribute the load well and the lid will keep things from banging around, even in the worst conditions.

I will have more room in the console for 3-4 additional tanks

ItemLrgPic2A4284.jpg

yea, we use the fish holds for the longer trips.

The access just is not that convenient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom