Tank Rentals for Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinFins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hawaii Big Island Shore Diving

Wow, so I just called a few shops to enquire about any special deals for renting lots of tanks for Shore diving. Each of them told me they will only rent two tanks per diver. That's a lot less than the 4 or 5 per diver we need for a day of shore diving.

Where do we need to go to get a shop that's familiar with the real needs of shore divers? It's fine if they don't give Bonaire type deals, but I still need 10 tanks per day with only 2 cert cards to show.

Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Disregard, wrong island.

Last edited:
I didn't see you say which island you'll be on; the following irrelevant to Oahu. Not sure if they'll do it or not, but you can check with Kaimana Divers and Hawaiian Diving Adventures. A club membership at Aaron's in Kailua might also be cost-effective depending on how many days you're diving.

All else fails, go to multiple dive shops.

If you're on the Big Island, call Big Island Divers. They're located at the north end of Kailua town, near Target if you know that landmark. I've found their rental policies to be the most flexible for matching a package to your needs. It's a big shop with lots of tanks, and decent hours 8AM-6PM. They used to have lockers out back for after-hours tank swaps, but sadly no more.

LOL, I have trouble averaging two tanks per day when I'm there, I gotta start diving with you! I honestly don't know how they'll react to 5 tanks per diver, but you can ask.

From what I recall from checking Jack's and a couple of other shops, the tanks are usually $10/day for unlimited fills. I've never found that to work out since it's not practical to return to the shop mid-day for a tank swap when diving most sites. BID will rent $20/week, and you pay for fills after the first one. Fills are $4 or a little less, if I recall, if you buy a card.

Unless shop locations have changed since late-December, several shops (Kona Diving Company, Big Island Divers & Kona Honu) are located very close to each other (like within easy walking distance). Why not simply rent multiple tanks from multiple shops to get the number of tanks you want per day? This way, you get what you want and the shop staff members don't have to deal with violating shop protocols. Seems like a simple solution for a simple problem.

-AZTinman

Unless shop locations have changed since late-December, several shops (Kona Diving Company, Big Island Divers & Kona Honu) are located very close to each other (like within easy walking distance). Why not simply rent multiple tanks from multiple shops to get the number of tanks you want per day? This way, you get what you want and the shop staff members don't have to deal with violating shop protocols. Seems like a simple solution for a simple problem.

-AZTinman
Yes unless they take your cert card like some shops in Florida have been known to do for this very reason.

Yes unless they take your cert card like some shops in Florida have been known to do for this very reason.
Really? What would you do if you ran into the Florida Fish & Game? (or whatever it's called there). Tell them to check with the dive shop?

No one in Hawaii I've ever dove with did. I've been diving in the islands since 1984 or so. Show it, d/l plus credit card for the rental. If anything they're going to be more interested in your last dive as they get tourists who haven't dove in a decade deciding to go for a dive on their own.

You might (probably) need to show your cert. card to the DLNR if you ran into them so I don't think any shop would take it. Rent/tow a flag so you're covered - it's actually the law.

Jack's Diving Locker is on Alii Dr. south of town. You could go by it diving/driving south without much detour. A few miles straight south on Alii and you'll go by Pahoehoe Beach Park and Mile Marker #4 - both shore dive sites.

Kona Diving Co. also rents tanks - they did to my buddy a couple years ago. No idea how many but he would be the 4 tanks/day guy if possible.

Last edited:
Really? What would you do if you ran into the Florida Fish & Game? (or whatever it's called there). Tell them to check with the dive shop?

No one in Hawaii I've ever dove with did. I've been diving in the islands since 1984 or so. Show it, d/l plus credit card for the rental. If anything they're going to be more interested in your last dive as they get tourists who haven't dove in a decade deciding to go for a dive on their own.

You might (probably) need to show your cert. card to the DLNR if you ran into them so I don't think any shop would take it. Rent/tow a flag so you're covered - it's actually the law.

Jack's Diving Locker is on Alii Dr. south of town. You could go by it diving/driving south without much detour. A few miles straight south on Alii and you'll go by Pahoehoe Beach Park and Mile Marker #4 - both shore dive sites.

Kona Diving Co. also rents tanks - they did to my buddy a couple years ago. No idea how many but he would be the 4 tanks/day guy if possible.
Thanks man.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom