Question Tank Recycling in Los Angeles County area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n1023

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I called 5 different places and all of them said they don’t take scuba tanks. Where do you all take yours?

I’ve got 2 aluminums and 1 steel with valves already removed.

I bet if you were to put them on the sidewalk in front of your house with a sign that said “free” they would disappear within the hour.

If you've got "junk hauler" tricks parked at your local home Depot, you might ask if they'd like the tanks. They usually cruise the night before trash day looking for scrap metal.

Just FYI, my local recycler only pays $0.07 per pound for steel, so you're probably not getting a lot in either case. Aluminum cans are mainly valuable because of CRV.

Just FYI, my local recycler only pays $0.07 per pound for steel, so you're probably not getting a lot in either case. Aluminum cans are mainly valuable because of CRV.
Sort of not really. The CRV makes cans extra-worthwhile, but aluminum is actually doing pretty well on recycle value right now. Cans go for ~$0.77/lb. and sheet aluminum goes for ~$0.55/lb.

I'm not in CA, but once I found a recycler who would take an AL80 (which took a while), I got $16 for it.

Sort of not really. The CRV makes cans extra-worthwhile, but aluminum is actually doing pretty well on recycle value right now. Cans go for ~$0.77/lb. and sheet aluminum goes for ~$0.55/lb.

I'm not in CA, but once I found a recycler who would take an AL80 (which took a while), I got $16 for it.
Interesting, I didn't know scrap aluminum was worth that much more than steel. Funny, because a steel tank sells for twice the price! Around here an aluminum can has 5 cents of CRV, which works out to almost exactly $1.50 a pound. Next time I go by the recycler I'll check what the price for scrap aluminum is.

Thanks all, I was hoping to get some cash back since I heard the aluminums were worth around $20 each at the scrapyard. If only I could find a yard that will actually take them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom