Tank location on the BC??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WC46

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As a new to be diver I was curious if there is a certain location that the tank should be on the BC. Such as the valve being even with the shoulders or what?

WC46:
As a new to be diver I was curious if there is a certain location that the tank should be on the BC. Such as the valve being even with the shoulders or what?

You'll cover this in your class. If your question isn't answered by what is covered, talk to your instructor. To some degree, this is dependant on your own physique and personal preference.

Well I was taught the general rule of thumb is 1 hand span down from where the tank ends its curve. That is if you look from the valve put your hand sideways starting where the curve ends and the bottom of your hand is where the tank band sits.

But I think in the end it just becomes personal preference.

WC46:
It would be nice if you were able to reach back over your shoulder and turn the tank valve on by yourself. Depending on many factors this may not be possible, but its an optimal situation to aim for.

YMMV...

gangrel441:
You'll cover this in your class. If your question isn't answered by what is covered, talk to your instructor. To some degree, this is dependant on your own physique and personal preference.
I hope this gets covered in class... this weekend I saw a student group at Blue Grotto with several divers practically kicking their tanks, and another one who had a (nice) two strap BC, and had the tank too low to even use the top one.

Shifting the tank up and down on the back will help you iron out trim issues. Generally, better trim results from having the tank pretty high (as Doc said - high enough to grab the valve). Of course this isn't true for everyone, and you'll find out what works for you with a little practice.

-Nick

For a BP/Wing setup, I saw a recommendation in a textbook that showed the top of the inflated wing being about even with the bottom of the tank valve (where the valve screws into the tank). This keeps the first stage and hoses from interfering with the top of the air bladder, and keeps the bladder from getting caught between the first stage and back of your head.

For regular BCDs, another textbook stated the top of the backpack groove that goes against the tank should be about even with the bottom of the tank valve. This kept the top of the back of the BCD when lifted up just below the first stage and hoses. I was never able to reach my valve using this method with the BCD I used to own, but I never considered reaching it a priority for single tank recreational diving.

Since there are various styles of BCDs and wings, it's hard to use one set rule. I adjust mine so I can reach the valve and fine tune my trim, however, sometimes I still have trouble reaching my valve, unless I push up on the bottom of my BP. Also, when you tilt your head back, it should not hit the first stage.

It took some playing around and experimenting for a while before I knew exactly where to visualize where below the curve of the top of the tank to place my top cam band. Once you get it right, you'll probably always remember the right spot. Bottom line...it has a lot to do with what type of gear you use and personal preference.

I place mine both so that when I'm not moving the tank's center of balance keeps me oriented in the water the way I want, and so that I can reach the valve if I have to. Exact placement will depend both on your body and on the characteristics of the tank you use. There isn't any one (short) right answer that will place your tank perfectly in all situations, but generally speaking putting it where it looks about right will work in the vast majority of cases.

There are two things to consider here, one's ability to reach ones valve, and one's overall horizontal trim.

Saying those two thing brings in a whole Pandora's box of other parameters.

But in essence, tank close to the head = head down position, tank close to the butt = butt (legs) low position.

Lot of things come into play here.

the K

Some people don't consider reaching the valve a requirment or important with a single tank rig. Most scuba texts show the valve centered between the shoulder blades or slightly higher. In fact some of the older plastic back plates had a central channel that had a stop built in to prevent the tank from going any higher than as I described so it could not whack you in the head.

It is common practice now to set the tank a little higher. This has no real negative aside from potentially hitting you in the head and possibly making you head negative. I find it uncomfortable if I hike my tank up to an extreme as I sometimes see now. Of course any thing can be taken to extreme--to high or to low.

Feel the back of your neck, lean your head forward, you will feel a bony knot--your spine at the base of your neck. In my opinion, the top of the valve should be no higher than that.

Some back plates with an STA place the tank so far away from your back this complicates reaching the valve for those who feel this is important. Keep that in mind but I assume you have a jacket type BC so this should not be an issue.

The standard aluminum 80 is valve end heavy. If the tank is shoved up high you will have a head low trim.If it is pushed down to far your feet may tend to rise. Imagine it's center of mass at about 1/3 down it's length, you want that to center in your upper/middle chest.

N

I ajust it so when swimming or head down horzontal it will not hit the back of my head with my head tilted as far back as I can. I don't worry about being able to reach the valve, if I need to I'll just slip out of the rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom