Tank inspection light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigd2722

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for a light to use for tank inspections. Don't really want to pay the $100 and up price for an "official" light. Suggestions?

My LDS uses something that looks like a string of christmas lights - the kind that is white LED and inside a clear plastic tube. He threads it inside the tank and the interior is totally illuminated very brightly.

My LDS uses something that looks like a string of christmas lights - the kind that is white LED and inside a clear plastic tube. He threads it inside the tank and the interior is totally illuminated very brightly.

Yes, and you can get them at a variety of prices, including some that are outrageous. I got mine a couple years ago on eBay from a guy who makes them for that purpose and sells them there regularly.

I use a mini maglight ($7) .

I just grab whatever really bright LED happens to be hanging around my toolbox. My friend has a string light, but I didn't find it to be beneficial over a bright flashlight.

Looking for a light to use for tank inspections. . . . Suggestions?
I have several lights, including the Deep Sea Supply light. My primary VIP light is a 15W, 'long' T6 bulb, with a candelabra base, put into a socket on a long cord, with a inline switch. The bulb is sold at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc., as a bulb for Exit signs. It is slender enough to fit into tanks with both 7/8 and 3/4 necks. Some people use a night light bulb, but that is too big to fit through the smaller neck apertures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom