Tank ID Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horn34

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The owner claims it's steel but doesn't know anything else about it. Might be a good deal, but it's a long drive to pick up.

steel-tank.jpg

steel-tank2.jpg

3A and 3AA indicate steel, it also appears to be galvanized which is a good thing. Buy the tank only if the seller guarantees that it will pass hydro (it probably will.) Price? @FireMedicATL sells steel tanks for $75 already in hydro:
Old Steel Tank From The Late 70s

He's not in your area, but not a bad guideline.

Thanks all. The seller won't guarantee anything and I don't think I'm gonna gamble on a 40 year old tank.

Just wish there was someplace in Texas to buy used steel tanks.

Thanks all. The seller won't guarantee anything and I don't think I'm gonna gamble on a 40 year old tank.

Just wish there was someplace in Texas to buy used steel tanks.

Will he at least let you check inside the tank for rust or a liner? How much is he asking? If I waned another steel 72 (my favorite tank) I would gamble $40 on a tank that has air in it. If no air, I'd have to look inside.

Will he at least let you check inside the tank for rust or a liner? How much is he asking? If I waned another steel 72 (my favorite tank) I would gamble $40 on a tank that has air in it. If no air, I'd have to look inside.
He wants $65, plus it's a 2.5 hour round trip drive (and at least $25 in gas). I'll just keep checking craigslist.

I've seen exactly one other craigslist ad in my area for steel tanks within the last year. The seller didn't put up any pics or description and he still sold them both within 36 hours.

...Just wish there was someplace in Texas to buy used steel tanks.
I don't know if they even sell a O2 safe valve seat for that valve on there so you might have been out even more money on a new valve.

Plenty of current used steel tanks in Florida for sale. Typically in hydro with convertible valves and run generally $225 and a great deal is $200. Just my own preference but I steer clear of the PST tanks since the re-certs are confusing the fillers and many are just taking a blanket approach like the 6351's and simply refusing to fill unless they personally know you. Your experience may be different than mine.

The owner claims it's steel but doesn't know anything else about it. Might be a good deal, but it's a long drive to pick up.

View attachment 494532

View attachment 494533

Horn...

I know I'm a little late to the party...

It's a steel tank...low pressure...2250 PSI...US Divers...

The photo is not the best...

A lot of these old tanks were manufactured under specific permit numbers which are stamped on the tanks...these permits have long since expired...

You'll need a new valve...the seat and service parts will need to be replaced...it's not worth the service and parts cost even if the service center still has parts available...

The tank may be rusted/pitted inside beyond acceptable limits...

Re-Hydro - $50....Annual Vis - $30...Tumble/Pit Inspection - $30...O2 Clean - $25...Valve - $50...

You're well beyond the scrap value of the tank...at best...it's a $2. yard sale tank...and certainly not worth any shipping costs...

Some shops are now refusing to fill tanks this old...valid stickers or not...In Ontario a lot of shops are now using a 1989 cut-off date for filling ''any'' scuba cylinders...

I would not service it in my shop...

In comparison to most scuba gear except the very basic bits and pieces...''new'' scuba tanks are an ''inexpensive by comparison'' investment...

Check out Dive Gear Express...ordered on line...you'll have your new tank from SE Florida in 24 hours...

For ''good'' used tanks...there should be lots available in the dive shops along the Gulf...

Best...

Warren

Back
Top Bottom