Question Tank damage. Was this from the dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom_Ivan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys

I've got my tanks back from the shop where they were being tested and filled. I've since noticed some damage to the paint that goes all the way to the steel underneath. It's some very consists scratches that is the same on all tanks.

I'm 98% sure that this was not there before I dropped them off but I never took any photos or took any notice either way.

Is anyone here familiar with the testing process and tools used for tank testing? My opinion is that they have used something much too harsh to grip the tank when removing the valve.

Had anyone seen this type of damage before?

Thanks

EDIT: Two tanks got a hydro and two got a visual test. All testing is done in store so no transport to hydro testing station needed.
Tanks are 3 years old. In nz a hydro is done every 2 years and a visual every year.

Attachments

• 20220313_153628.jpg
    20220313_153628.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 20220313_153631.jpg
    20220313_153631.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 20220313_153634.jpg
    20220313_153634.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 20220313_153640.jpg
    20220313_153640.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 20220313_153651.jpg
    20220313_153651.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 20220313_153707.jpg
    20220313_153707.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 20220313_153718.jpg
    20220313_153718.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 20220313_153730.jpg
    20220313_153730.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 155
I doubt anything was used to hold the tank while the valve was removed. If it was done at testing, it was probably from laying in a pile of tanks on the way to and from the tester. It looks like pretty normal wear and tear.

... tools used for tank testing?
In the future at your 5 year mark, one of the tools used is a steel grinder and they will grind away a small bare metal spot of your new paint so they can stamp a new date code. Just like a new car that is now 1yr old, it's gonna get some scratches, dings and chips on it's paint. In florida, those blemishes mean you are no longer a newbie and you are now a regular diver.

The tanks may have been put in a tank vise, possibly a pneumatic one like the one i use, but it shouldnt have have gouged the tank. Probably something that happened in transit as Tracy said.

I would paint those scratches. Not a big deal now but they look pretty deep and you don't want to give rust a toehold. Not sure what paint is best but cold galvanizing spray would be a start.

two things :

1. that epoxy coating used on those tanks sucks (we all suffer with it, better to pay the upcharge for hdg tanks). As said, character marks are a right of passage. It means you are diving them.

2. tanks will get paint scratches and chips, but those longitudinal ones are "cuts"... I'd be pissed, and let the shop know. That was more than rough handling. Likely not an issue but you do need to seal them up or it will allow corrosion to start.

I agree with NY Bob. I don't know what was used as a tank vice, but that isn't cool.

Look carefully at the valves and ensure that they aren't damaged as well. Anytime a valve is stuck in the tank so tight it leaves gouges in the paint like that, the valve had a hard time coming out.

Normal wear and tear. The chips around the neck probably happened when the valve was installed the first time. But were held in place by the valve. Once the valve was removed, the chips fell off.

You say that the scratches are consistent on all of your tanks.... which seems to me like too much of a coincidence for that to have occured during transport. You also mention that the tanks were being "tested"..... Was this testing just a VIP or did they go to Hydro? Also, any chance that they needed to be tumbled?

All in all, tank scratches are gonna happen anyway. If it was me I'd just move right to acceptance!

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Two of the tanks had a hydro but this was done in store. No transport to testing station needed.

You say that the scratches are consistent on all of your tanks.... which seems to me like too much of a coincidence for that to have occured during transport. You also mention that the tanks were being "tested"..... Was this testing just a VIP or did they go to Hydro? Also, any chance that they needed to be tumbled?

All in all, tank scratches are gonna happen anyway. If it was me I'd just move right to acceptance!

I doubt that tumbling was needed. Only three years old and they didn't charge me for one.

I think I'll go back and have a chat with the store. See what comes of it.

The one gouge looks deep.. is that into steel or still just paint?

They still look better than all my tanks... but I understand trying to keep nice stuff nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom