Tank Cover Patterns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadragon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy,

Does anyone know of a generic pattern for a SCUBA tank cover. I have some fabric that would work nicely and I have a friend with a sewing machine willing to do the job. However, she asked if I had a sewing pattern to lay out the job to make her life easier... Will be for an AL 80 and Steel 120 if that makes a difference.

Looked on the board and didn't see anything posted previously... Google came up dry too...

Cheers.

Hemlon:
So the cover would be for the tank whn it's being used or when it's in storage?

I'm confused.
It would be used during the dive. Something like this but with the design going higher around the top of the tank with a hole large enough to let the valve through as you slip it over:

s_271.jpg

There are online stores that sell tank covers such as the one you displayed above. But they are made out of a shrink-wrap plastic material, not cloth.

Hemlon:
There are online stores that sell tank covers such as the one you displayed above. But they are made out of a shrink-wrap plastic material, not cloth.
Correct, but I am going to make one out of cloth. I have seen sewn (they could be thin neoprene as well) versions in my Divemaster videos that fit the entire length of the tank including the round shoulder near the top.

BTW, your profile is quite well done. Being 'spiritual in the water' speaks to me... Thanks...

Will your BC strap hold securely with a cloth tank cover?

Yes, being on water is amazing!

I'd be worried about using cloth especially cotton like material because it would hold water and after drying salt directly against the metal of the tank. Why not just keep the tank nice and bare?

what is the purpose of the tank cover?

Visibility number 1 tank protection 2. Lets say you dive in fairly good visibility with a silver tank, then you dive a low visibility with the same tank I want my buddy to see me. But instead of buying a different tank you just slip one of these on. I don't sell them but I do own one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom