Tank carrying strap, pros & cons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I recently had the opportunity to carry a tank which had a webbing strap handle and thought tank transport was much easier. I’ve never seen a diving picture with one of these still on the tank. My question is do divers leave these straps on their tank while diving. As long as the BCD mounting strap doesn’t interfere, why not? Maybe extra swimming water drag?

Are there good reasons for, or for not, leaving the strap on the tank while diving to make carrying easier all the time?

upload_2019-1-2_19-40-33.jpeg

I would not use it Doctor Rig because its an entanglement risk. And on the surface it really is not that useful in my opinion.

I recently had the opportunity to carry a tank which had a webbing strap handle and thought tank transport was much easier. I’ve never seen a diving picture with one of these still on the tank. My question is do divers leave these straps on their tank while diving. As long as the BCD mounting strap doesn’t interfere, why not? Maybe extra swimming water drag?

Are there good reasons for, or for not, leaving the strap on the tank while diving to make carrying easier all the time?

View attachment 497104

It's common for a stage bottle. (one clipped on the diver as an additional tank)

209cef76b2580068557c29dfc2fb5d14.jpg

As per your exact question... I think for a back mount the carrying strap often gets in the way of the BCD straps and needs removed prior to use for this reason. It also seems like something that could be an entanglement issue depending on the hazards of the dive site.

I've used them successfully when hauling tanks over uneven ground.

It's less strain than hoisting a long tank up over things vertically and held by the tank valve and better for balence than tottering on one's shoulder.

But yes. Generally they seem a solution seeking a problem.

Have seen one slip and nearly break a buddy's toe.

Regards,
Cameron

As they said...i'd pass on that.

A common solution for carrying tanks over long distances and/or uneven surfaces is a garden wagon/cart. Some are collapsable, so you could fit one in a car.

One of the local quarries even has a bunch of them to rent out to divers. They're only about a buck or two to rent for the day. Most frequent divers that I've seen tend to bring their own or just rent one from the quarry.

A Marina I dived out of recently even had free carts that you could wheel out to your vehicle, put your gear in, and take right to the boat.

I have one that was given to me. I find it handy for one the springs where I do my equipment tests at, as the stairs are nothing more than large rocks, so the strap carries better than the other methods I would use. But outside of that one scenario it gathers dust.

I also don't leave it on the tank, I put the strap on, carry it to platform by the water, and take it off to get the next tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom