Tank boot may have saved my tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have 2 steel 120s that I store in my basement.

I noticed that my concrete floor had effervescence. (basically salt coming out off the floor)

My steel tanks have plastic boots. I noticed the salt on the floor, but looks like there is none on the tanks.

That would have been a bad thing.

Are you suggesting salt destroys my steel tanks? Tell my mum I dive the freshwater caves for my own safety.

Yes, salts are what corrodes metals, inducing steel. That is why rinsing tanks is important.

All steel tanks I've seen have been painted. As long as the paint isn't chipped, standing on a salty surface shouldn't damage the tanks. And if the paint is chipped, you should do something about it, no matter if your tanks have boots. If the chipping is under the boots, it's IMO even more important to fix it...

My LDS removes the boots and inspects the entire tank as part of the test when doing the hydro. The annual requirements here are a visual one year and a hydro the next year.

All steel tanks I've seen have been painted. As long as the paint isn't chipped, standing on a salty surface shouldn't damage the tanks. And if the paint is chipped, you should do something about it, no matter if your tanks have boots. If the chipping is under the boots, it's IMO even more important to fix it...

My tanks are not painted. I have never, nor will ever paint them. So, I lovingly clean them and make sure they are dry and free from things that could corrode them.

My tanks are not painted. I have never, nor will ever paint them.
Steel tanks without a surface treatment? Seriously? Who makes those?

The "surface treatment" used by e.g. Faber is primer, then paint. When my tanks are chipped, I sand and repaint the damaged area. If I don't, they will rust.

Back
Top Bottom