tank bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmsdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Curious: is it necessary to place a rubber spacer between tank bands and the tank? What is the rationale of doing so? I have read someplace that this is a standard of practice.

Thanks in advance.

The purpose is to prevent the tank from slipping. The compressed rubber compensates for band stretch. Personally, I have a couple of large rubber bands twisted on the each band just to add a little more friction. Another method is to coat a section of the band with the rubber dip that is used to coat tool handles.

JoelW

no it is not neccessary. The rubber will corrode and wear out very quickly and you will end up with loose bands. Not a problem if you maintain your gear, but most people rarely examine their tanks more frequently than once a year. With the straight bands you will get some initial corrosion under them but it will stabilize after a short time.

My mistake and I apologize for it. The brain engaged without closely reading the original post. Thought cam bands was tank bands.

Back to the staging lights.

Joel

with cam bands it does help to have the rubber sleeve, for the reasons that joe mentioned earlier

now if you are talking about doubles then it is not a good thing to have a rubber spacer between the tanks and the bands. that will allow slight movement with the tanks. and that causes premature fatigue in the manifold(and that would be a bad thing)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom