Tank and setup for home pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamfrey

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is an amazing place! Diving for 20 years without about 200 dives around the world. I wanted to get a setup for our new home pool (35 x 24 with a 9.5ft deep end and shallow is 3ft) with a potential twist to make it easier to expose my daughters, wife, and son to diving long term.

One majorly intimidating thing is all the gear and so had the idea to get a small tank and long reg hose so they can potentially swim without a tank on their back at first. I didn't know if there are any limitations or thoughts on this as a 1st step to maybe get them enthused. I also thought I can wear the tank and they can breath off a long octopus?

You can all slap me if I am being stupid but want to share the amazing underwater world (even if its just in my pool) just to get started.

Is there a limitation on the length of the octopus?

Air is air
In the world of rececreatinal SCUBA diving is can be delivered via a 3 foot, 7 foot or a 30 foot hose

My children all began with a SCUBA tank on the bath room floor and the "Diving " in a bath tub

Then a do-boy 2 foot deep recreational back yard pool

At about 3, 4 or 5 the migrated at their own pace to the family pool and deeper water

It was fun but take it slow with caution of barotrauma

SDM

Thanks for the heads up on the barotrauma. I did see a surface delivery setup and maybe that is what I want...

No matter the age of your kids, and no matter the setup, you need to establish some ground rules for use. They will be breathing compressed above 10 meters (33ft), the significance is that the depth of your pool is in the zone with the highest ratio of expansion to depth. If they inadvertently remove the regulator and swim to the surface without exhaling it can have a devastating effect on their lungs.

I cannot encourage you enough to involve your family in this activity that you are passionate about, but at the same time I cannot caution you enough either.

When one starts messing with the laws that mother nature sets forth for us, she is often very unforgiving when we violate those laws, however accidental the violation might be.

-Z

Zef, thank you and great things. Yes I am thinking about all the safety things of course but know I will learn so much from this group and may hire an instructor to come out and give them a little info class (everyone listens better to someone other than their parents or spouse...right!)

I wanted to get a setup for our new home pool (35 x 24 with a 9.5ft deep end and shallow is 3ft)
You can do a lot with that pool. Seriously, a 9.5 ft diving well is sweet!

On the flip side, you can really hurt yourself or your family in a moment. It comes at you fast. Your pool is not a 'cheat' to experience scuba. Are you an instructor?

Your new pool IS, however, a great place to practice what all of you learn after OW.

It is all a ton of fun until somebody screws up. (I'm pretty renegade so I'm def not some super safety nut.)

I wanted to get a setup for our new home pool (35 x 24 with a 9.5ft deep end and shallow is 3ft) with a potential twist to make it easier to expose my daughters, wife, and son to diving long term.

I am jealous. I often go into my Intex 18' pool with a HP100 sitting outside with a 25' long hose from Dive Gear Express. No octo. You can breathe on that forever. I typically have the hose hooked up to the regulator set I use for my pony bottle which has an SPG on 6-inch hose. Here is a video I put together for scubaboard when I was trying to figure out some issues I was having. As you can see the hose gets coiled up sometimes. T

@Dubious, curious how that size pool works for you. I have an 18' above ground also, about 4 feet deep. I've been looking for a way to work on buoyancy control and it has been tough given the current travel restrictions, so I wondered what I might do with a pool that size. Can you work on buoyancy with that depth?

@Dubious, curious how that size pool works for you. I have an 18' above ground also, about 4 feet deep. I've been looking for a way to work on buoyancy control and it has been tough given the current travel restrictions, so I wondered what I might do with a pool that size. Can you work on buoyancy with that depth?

I was looking for a thread that talked about this but I couldn't find it. In a nutshell, the thread said that if you can hone in your buoyancy in shallow water than deeper water will be a cinch. This has to do with pressure changes near the surface. In essence, air expands/compresses more per foot of water the shallower you are.

The movie Dodgeball comes to mind, "if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball." If you can manage drills in 4 feet of water than you can do them at any depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom