Tamarindo Costa Rica - General Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dierenarts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We're getting excited to head to Tamarindo in one week. Will be diving but my wife and I also like lots of snorkeling. Anyone have any specific areas to recommend in the Tamarindo that are shore walk-in? Will plan to go with local dive shop and head out to Catalinas for the dives. How are the currents this time of year?

Any recommendation for tour guides/outfits (as long as they are small group type not large bus touring) for land based activities. We have only 1 week so we don't want to drive long distances (will have a car). Any "don't miss this" recommendations?

Also would like recommendations for Tamarindo restaurants both formal and informal, we're not wild partiers but do like both local flavors and good food is a must.

Anyone else on this board going March 5-12? Anyone want to share a fishing boat trip?

Koen

Cabanas Mono Loco - great place to stay, run by Ticos, quiet, across the road from the beach. Off road parking that is secure (a must in Tam).

Snorkel out to Isla Captain 400 yards off shore.

One night go over to Playa Grande and see a turtle laying eggs. Reservations required with passport.

Catch a wave and learn to surf.

No shore diving.

any restaurant recommendations? we are staying at sueno del mar

Koen

Hi Koen,
I was wondering if you have an info about your trip? We're heading there in two days and would love to hear any feedback you might have.
Thanks!

we had a great time, stayed at small b&b sueno del mar (great breakfasts) in langosta. loved the country and the people. diving was not optimal as visibilty was very poor the day we went. however aqua rica folks were fantastic and would not hessitate to dive with them again. saw a nice great big green moray ell out in the open, nice round stingray, school of spottail grunts, some groupers, brief look at a small white tipped shark, nice guineafowl puffers spotted and gold phases, porcupine puffer,etc...did miss out on seeing my beloved rays but hey next time. best snorkeling was actually in the shallow low tide pools across from our b&b. restaurant recommendations include #1= langosta beach club (family run by french ex-pats ask for Olivier the owner and he'll take great care of you), lazy wave, seasons, dragon fly, sushi club, khahiki, and dragon fly come to mind. have a great time!

I just got back yesterday for CR. I got 1 day of diving with AquaRica and had a good time. Took their 2 tank dive to Catalina Island. It was my second time there. Water viz was usual (20'-30'). Sea creatures are easy to spot. 2 tank dive with some of their equipment was $100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom