Tallahassee Area Caves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am planning a trip this summer to spend a few days in Marianna to see the Mill Pond caves. I was wondering about the Tallahassee area caves, what is accessible and reasonable to access for myself that is not a new cave diver, but not super experienced.

I doubt that I will have my DPV cave done before I plan a trip, but TBH even if I did I think I would want to swim the sites first to get some experience before I start getting into it with a scooter.

Just trying to see more of the caves and Florida, I can't make all my dives in Ginnie, despite the fact that I do love it.

Emerald is cool. The upstream side is shallow and pretty neat. Hang a right at the 1st T and it’s big and pretty and you’ll go under a few sinks. Keep right at the 2nd T and you’ll end up at the Black Abyss. Big af. Downstream is deep but super impressive. Trimix territory.

Clearcut is also cool. Downstream is like 100’ for a good ways then it shallows up and goes under a bunch of pretty sinks. Upstream is deep and beautiful. Go far enough upstream (like 3k) and you’ll end up at emerald.

The vis is usually trash though. It gets clear when the weather is dry for a prolonged period.

Other stuff up there tends to be deep, low vis, or on private property. Usually all 3.

Emerald is the first that comes to mind but entry isn't exactly for the faint of heart and would recommend you go with someone who is familiar for your first trip there. Epic cave if I'm being honest but I won't go there this time of year because of the bugs and the winter can be hit or miss with the rain. We almost got a 4x4 F150 stuck one year.
Traverse from Clearcut to Emerald is a fun dive on a CCR.

Emerald is the first that comes to mind but entry isn't exactly for the faint of heart and would recommend you go with someone who is familiar for your first trip there. Epic cave if I'm being honest but I won't go there this time of year because of the bugs and the winter can be hit or miss with the rain. We almost got a 4x4 F150 stuck one year.
Traverse from Clearcut to Emerald is a fun dive on a CCR.
Entry? Stairs? Into a big open sink? It’s the easiest of all of the caves in tally area. The trail is packed solid and there’s nothing challenging. It’s 2 wheel drive car territory. There’s even a gravel parking lot.

Are you thinking of Emerald or something else?

Entry? Stairs? Into a big open sink? It’s the easiest of all of the caves in tally area. The trail is packed solid and there’s nothing challenging. It’s 2 wheel drive car territory. There’s even a gravel parking lot.

Are you thinking of Emerald or something else?
Maybe it was Black or Clear Cut where we almost got stuck? I have only dove up there 5-6x but I've literally never been there when it is dry so that is probably part of the issue, always raining and it's been 3-4 years since I've been up there so probably misremembering.

I was going to say.. The entry and drive to Emerald is pretty straight forward. I didn't dive it this winter but I drove down to the road (they moved the road slightly but the gate is unlocked and wide open and there are absolutely no signs saying the park is closed) to check it out. These pictures are from February so I have no idea the conditions right now.

1651251260674.png

1651251219380.png

You could check out Harvey's Cave in Tallahassee. It's not really known for good visibility but access it easy, just a bit sketchy.
1651251152340.png

Attachments

• 1651251312123.png
    1651251312123.png
    1 MB · Views: 64
Maybe it was Black or Clear Cut where we almost got stuck? I have only dove up there 5-6x but I've literally never been there when it is dry so that is probably part of the issue, always raining and it's been 3-4 years since I've been up there so probably misremembering.
You’re probably thinking of a sneak dive to Sullivan’s.

I was going to say.. The entry and drive to Emerald is pretty straight forward. I didn't dive it this winter but I drove down to the road (they moved the road slightly but the gate is unlocked and wide open and there are absolutely no signs saying the park is closed) to check it out. These pictures are from February so I have no idea the conditions right now.

View attachment 719959

View attachment 719958

You could check out Harvey's Cave in Tallahassee. It's not really known for good visibility but access it easy, just a bit sketchy.
View attachment 719957
Harvey’s is cool when it’s clear but it’s like never clear. The surface will look good then be doggydoodoo in the cave. It’s chaos.

Harvey’s is cool when it’s clear but it’s like never clear. The surface will look good then be doggydoodoo in the cave. It’s chaos.
Thanks. A buddy and I were up in Tallahassee and were checking it out. It didn't look great on surface (I guess that's pretty typical?) and it was later in the afternoon so we opted not to dive. Hoping to check it out this coming fall/winter.

Thanks. A buddy and I were up in Tallahassee and were checking it out. It didn't look great on surface (I guess that's pretty typical?) and it was later in the afternoon so we opted not to dive. Hoping to check it out this coming fall/winter.
You can’t tell from the surface at all. It doesn’t correlate to rain. It’s just chaos.

All the stuff around 98 is like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom