Tales of the Brass Bottle Opener Chap 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great stories - keep 'em up! You are a great writer!

Sorry to take so long on answering this one.

Brewed since 1950 in Israel. Goldstar is Israel's leading beer. It is a premium beer, developed in 1950, and defined as a Munich-style beer. Goldstar beer contains 4.9% alcohol and has a unique flavor and aroma particularly appreciated by the Israeli beer drinker. Goldstar Beer was awarded a large number of gold medals at the international Mondselection competition

http://www.tempo.co.il/

FatCat:
Gold Star? Don't know that one.

Tom Smedley:
Sorry to take so long on answering this one.

Brewed since 1950 in Israel. Goldstar is Israel's leading beer. It is a premium beer, developed in 1950, and defined as a Munich-style beer. Goldstar beer contains 4.9% alcohol and has a unique flavor and aroma particularly appreciated by the Israeli beer drinker. Goldstar Beer was awarded a large number of gold medals at the international Mondselection competition

http://www.tempo.co.il/

Ahh... Goldstar. My telling some GREAT stories about this beer and my kibbutz would probably be in MAJOR violation of of the TOS… :wink:

Also there is Maccabee Beer (Bira Macabi), and Turbog Malt (but that's non-alcohol.)
Tell me, when you were there, were there any Kibbutzim around the Eilat area still in existance?

I went there several times on an official basis in the mid to late 80s. I also went on a personal tour and dive expedition in the 90s.

On the dive trip we landed at Tel and stayed the night then went to Caesarea and to Haifa. Then we went to The sea of Galilee and stayed in a Kibbutz called Hagoschrim in the Golan. Then we stopped at all the historical places like Nazereth, Nabulus, Jericho and straight down the eastern border to the Dead Sea where we spent a few days at a resort. While there we did the climb to Masada. Then to Eilat for a week or so where we did mega diving. Some boat but mostly shore. Then back to Jerusalem for a few days touring the ancient city and departed from Tel.

I really probably shouldn't get into the official part but it was mostly providing portable satellite communication for visiting dignitaries. That was among my most exciting times. If I can find it I will send a picture of me waiting for a chopper atop Masada. I also have a picture of me lyng on my back floating high and reading the Jerusalem Post in the Dead Sea. On official trips we based out of the Dan Hotel in Tel.

The Bottle Opener tale was written about a trip I made in 1985. God, has that been 20 years ago?

The absolute awe of sitting at the Rock of the Dome - seeing the Western Wall - The via De la Rosa. Chills come when you think of this small area that is so important to so many people of every religion. You have a totally awesome heritage from a totally awesome country.

baltimoron:
Ahh... Goldstar. My telling some GREAT stories about this beer and my kibbutz would probably be in MAJOR violation of of the TOS… :wink:

Also there is Maccabee Beer (Bira Macabi), and Turbog Malt (but that's non-alcohol.)
Tell me, when you were there, were there any Kibbutzim around the Eilat area still in existance?

Tom Smedley:
I went there several times on an official basis in the mid to late 80s. I also went on a personal tour and dive expedition in the 90s.

On the dive trip we landed at Tel and stayed the night then went to Caesarea and to Haifa. Then we went to The sea of Galilee and stayed in a Kibbutz called Hagoschrim in the Golan. Then we stopped at all the historical places like Nazereth, Nabulus, Jericho and straight down the eastern border to the Dead Sea where we spent a few days at a resort. While there we did the climb to Masada. Then to Eilat for a week or so where we did mega diving. Some boat but mostly shore. Then back to Jerusalem for a few days touring the ancient city and departed from Tel.

I really probably shouldn't get into the official part but it was mostly providing portable satellite communication for visiting dignitaries. That was among my most exciting times. If I can find it I will send a picture of me waiting for a chopper atop Masada. I also have a picture of me lyng on my back floating high and reading the Jerusalem Post in the Dead Sea. On official trips we based out of the Dan Hotel in Tel.

The Bottle Opener tale was written about a trip I made in 1985. God, has that been 20 years ago?

The absolute awe of sitting at the Rock of the Dome - seeing the Western Wall - The via De la Rosa. Chills come when you think of this small area that is so important to so many people of every religion. You have a totally awesome heritage from a totally awesome country.
Oh- so by then I was allllmost in existence (short two years, in fact, today's my birthday!), but my Kibbutz was around. Remember hearing of a Kibbutz outside Eilat (well, technically outside Eilot), filled with crazy liberal hippie hoo-hah expats? Was it any chance by the name of Ketura? Then that's my home!

Jerusalem is also a great city… maybe the best in the world. When I get really really rich (b'ezrat hashem, in the help of g-d), I want to move to Yemin Moshe in Jerusalem. I haven't heard of Hagoshrim, but if its anywhere near Tveria (Tiberius) I will ask around when I call home tomorrow. Us kibbutznicks like to think we are well connected. You got to chop Masada?!?!?!? :wtf: No fair!!! Well, I guess only the really important tourists get to chop it. Most tourists take the gondola or the Roman ramp, while we gung-ho Israelis take the snake path up! Only been in the dead sea for times, and that was enough for me. I had really bad acne at one point during a visit, and decided to do the "other" Dead Sea spa treatment. I got on the plane back home with my face as red as a tomato. Though I can't complain-- it worked like a charm!! :wink:
As anyone here will tell you, I make it a point to make fun of Americans, beacuse they are missing out on all the coolness of being Israeli!!!! Oh, I love my country. :)

But enough about me, get back to writing that third chapter!! :banghead:

I didn't chop Masada - took the gondola (along with two Israli compadres) up once to carry radio equipment and WAIT for the "important" folks who were coming there in a chopper. Like the song says "I ain't no senator's son." Once I walked up just to say I have done it. I'll dig out that picture tonight.

Masada - "Checkmate King Two this is White Rook, Over"

Hi Tom, I would buy a book of these stories. You are a fine writer. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom