Tale of 2 computers on 2 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I use a vyper air with a setting of P0 A0 and I leave the RGBM setting alone at 100%. I also have a Galileo Luna.

Knowing that my Suunto is ultra conservative even at P0 A0 is one thing. Penalizing me more on repetitive dives is another, especially at the level it did during an experiment.

This past Tuesday we planned 2 dives on a wreck. I was on 32%EAN and set both computers to a PPO2 of 1.5 just in-case I wanted to venture a little deeper.

Dive 1 both computers were relatively similar with the Luna always giving me 2-4 more minutes before deco than the Suunto. Dive 1 had a max depth of 103', dive time of 44 mins and an average depth of 62 ft. Nothing much to complain about for either computer.

Dive 2 was the reason I wanted to wear both computers and clearly showed the difference between the two. Dive 2 had a maximum depth of 116', dive time of 43 mins and an average depth of 60 ft.

SI 44mins

The Suunto put me into deco 20 minutes into the dive after coming up from 116 and passing the 75 mark with a very slow ascent rate. While I was ascending to the upper portion of the wreck, the Luna was adding bottom time and was always 18-22 minutes more than the Suunto. When the Suunto first went into Deco it gave me a minimum of a 6 mins of ascent time with a ceiling of 10'. I like to do a stop at approximately 1/2 my depth so I stopped about 55' as the Luna was adding more bottom time during my ascent. Since I did not ascend "fast enough" for Suunto, it started to add deco time. All of the time I spent at 1/2 my depth was added to my deco time on the Suunto while the Luna was very happy with my profile. I slowly made my way to and then up the line, the entire time having deco time added to the Suunto until I got to about 20'. When I got there, I had 10 minutes of "deco" time for the Suunto and 199 minutes of bottom time available with the Luna. I then went to 15' and did a 3 minute safety stop which was counted down nicely by the Luna while the Suunto was finally reducing my deco for time already served at 20'. With 5 minutes of deco left on my Suunto but a very happy Luna, I surfaced as my CCR buddy (I am open circuit) was ready to surface. As you can guess, the Suunto would not stop beeping and put me in a no fly status for 48 hours while the Luna had my no fly to about 16 hours.

What I learned about the Suunto was this:

The Suunto ascent time will increase if:

you remain at depth (which I did not do)
you ascend slower than 33' per minute
you make your decompression stops deeper than at the ceiling

Suunto gave me a ceiling of 10'. so in order to not accumulate more (be penalized) deco time, I would have to ascend faster than 33' per minute and go to about 10'.

Not sure I like that algorithm.

The Suunto ascent time will increase if:

you remain at depth (which I did not do)
you ascend slower than 33' per minute
you make your decompression stops deeper than at the ceiling

Suunto gave me a ceiling of 10'. so in order to not accumulate more (be penalized) deco time, I would have to ascend faster than 33' per minute and go to about 10'.
@jar546: Perhaps that was a typo. I see nothing in my Suunto manual which instructs a diver to ever ascend faster than 33 ft/min. That would result in an ascent rate violation on my Mosquito.
I would think that one should ascend to just below the ceiling at a rate very close to 33 ft/min in order for the minimum ascent time not to increase.

As you know, the Suunto will react differently if you initiate ascent before crossing over into deco mode. It will increase NDLs as you ascend regardless of rate, just as the Luna did on Dive #2.

The Luna supports Profile Dependent Intermediate Stops (a.k.a. "level stops" that allow on-the-fly cascading to lower levels of microbubble protection).
The latest iteration of the Suunto Vyper Air supports a Deep Stops option. Did you have this option turned "ON" on your computer?
Or perhaps you have an older Vyper Air which lacks the Deep Stops option? :idk:
Just curious.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom