Taking up Solo Diving - Insurace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackOfDiamonds

Jewish Space Laser Operator
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello everyone,

Recently i have considered taking up Solo diving for numerous reasons, chief among which is the trouble of finding dive buddies in the last minute (I dive very spontaneously ) and also following a recent and very heated argument with my current dive group over a very bad dive.

(To make a long story short, i have witnessed who was to me the most prominent role figure when it comes to diving absolutely loosing it and halting the entire dive group in the most dramatic way possible because his dive computer died on him at 3 meters depth... and no, we did not pass 3m, was a very shallow dive. There were a lot more things that went on that night but lets not get too deep into that).

Problem is when i looked into it, at least in my country of residence (Israel), Diving insurance will NOT cover you in the event that any thing happens if you dove Solo.
Basically i wanted to ask, is the insurance situation a problem for people in various other locations in the world? if so, how do you go about this? go anyway and hope for the best ? or perhaps, look for an insurance that will allow solo diving? (How ever i don't think that exists around here).

I've even heard stories about people that went Solo Diving around here only to have their licensed revoked by the Israeli Dive Federation (I did not get certified trough them so i'm not as worried but still).

P.S. - Most of my dives around home are shallow under 10 meters (to go deeper around here you need a boat), so im not worried about getting slapped with a bill of a Deco Chamber, and when i think about it there isn't that many other things that a Dive Insurance might come in handy with , but im kind of torn and not sure how to go about this.

Any tips or advice's from Solo Divers would be much appreciated !
Best Regards, Shachaf.

Shachaf...

You may want to contact DAN...they may be able to help...

I have dive insurance in Canada with two carriers...dive with a rebreather...solo...no issues...

I'm a great believer in the buddy system...having said that...having a buddy who is solely reliant on you for ''everything''...you're basically diving solo...in this case you're better off and far safer being ''solo''...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Just called DAN, got the after-hours medical staff who believe that solo diving has nothing to do with coverage. It matters to me. (I was pretty sure about it, but not positive)

I agree, call DAN during normal eastern USA business hours to get the business people. Number is easily found on the internet.

You may want to contact DAN...they may be able to help...
Maybe. Maybe not.

DAN cannot offer policies that are inconsistent with local law. That is even true within the United States. Local diving for me is both Colorado and New Mexico. A diver living in New Mexico cannot get the same DAN policy I can as a resident of Colorado because of restrictions in New Mexico's insurance rules. My policy covers me wherever I dive because it depends upon the rules where I live, not the rules where I dive.

My situation: Canada & U.S.-- I've never taken out any dive insurance. Our Blue Cross covers us out of Canada including dive accidents. My wife & I both have a joint life insurance policy. My solo dives are USUALLY 10m (30 feet) or less. There is more chance of me dying of a heart attack up at the cabin in Northern Canada when there alone for 2+ weeks. Don't know if that helps.

Life and disability insurance and solo diving are questions best left to be answered by your carrier/agent and in writing.
As a general rule diving within the parameters of your certifications should not adversely affect these coverages but diving outside specific parameters of your certification could possibly.

@JackOfDiamonds is your Israeli "dive insurance" to cover medical events (DCS or otherwise) or life insurance in case of your death?

At least in the United States these are separate policies issued by separate insurers. I've been asked about diving on my life insurance policy but there was no question about solo diving. There are no questions about diving on most medical policies.

@JackOfDiamonds Since solo diving is so strongly prohibited in your country, will it be possible for you to train and certify as a solo diver and/or will anyone rent tanks to you when you are solo? I have no idea, I am just asking.

Have you tried looking for another dive group? I have nothing against solo diving but that might be easier and cheaper!

By the way, when I have purchased trip insurance for a dive vacation with my buddy (husband) I have never had to purchase additional insurance for scuba diving - because scuba is not considered a high-risk activity and it is covered just like any other illness or injury or accidental death.

@JackOfDiamonds is your Israeli "dive insurance" to cover medical events (DCS or otherwise) or life insurance in case of your death?

At least in the United States these are separate policies issued by separate insurers. I've been asked about diving on my life insurance policy but there was no question about solo diving. There are no questions about diving on most medical policies.

As far as DCS goes and all of those other variants yes.
the lump sum for death is ridiculously small but im not counting on that, more specifically on the DCS (Deco chambers here are horrifically expensive) and the Solo Diving aspect.

I don't have life insurance , how ever that does not cover any diving related incidents around here (at least not that i've heard of)

We also have a law that obligates every scuba diver to have insurance (Which i support, but up to a certain extent.)

@JackOfDiamonds Since solo diving is so strongly prohibited in your country, will it be possible for you to train and certify as a solo diver and/or will anyone rent tanks to you when you are solo? I have no idea, I am just asking.

Have you tried looking for another dive group? I have nothing against solo diving but that might be easier!

By the way, when I have purchased trip insurance for a dive vacation with my buddy (husband) I have never had to purchase additional insurance for scuba diving - because scuba is not considered a high-risk activity.

It is sort of considered Taboo here, which is baffling to me, but i know that some instructors are certified to teach solo diving as there is no law that forbids you to learn it, worse case scenario i can go to Sinai (Dahab is about 6-7 hours drive from me) and do it there for the sake of the certificate.

I have my own tank so im not entirely dependent on the dive clubs, but i know for sure that if i wont bring my own no club will provide me one, they are not allowed by the law set by the Diving Federation.

I have tried and also still looking for buddies, but as i stated i dive very spontaneously and not a lot of people have the flexibility my job offers me so a lot of times im left with no dive buddy.
Dont get me wrong, if i have the option i would opt to dive with a buddy (who i can trust of course) then a lone, but given the situation that is not all the time available to me.

What i am speaking of is not Travel Insurance, which i know covers it, but the regular Year Round insurance for diving next to my home.

Back
Top Bottom