Taking the long hose plunge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
I've decided it's time to E-Bay the AIR II and swith to a long hose / bungied octo setup. So, I have ordered a 5' hose. I currently own an ATX 200 which has a 24'' hose on it. I plan on using the 24'' hose for my octo. What is a good reg to purchase as a bungied octo? Any hints on attaching the octo to a bungie?

I also am going dry at the same time, so I assume my 1st stage has enough ports for all of these new LP hoses that I will be adding. I believe my 5' hose is 3/4''.

When I do a search for this, I get about 10 pages of stuff...

Good information and pictures on making a necklace are HERE

Thanks. Anyone with any opinions on what reg is best used for a backup?

Many feel that your backup should be atleast similar to your primary. I just use a full size second stage that was left-over from older setups. It's likely best to get a normal color/black. If you get a normal yellow octo you may find some panicked diver trying to pull it off you.

Your first stage regulator should have sufficient L/P ports to support your primary, alternate, L/P B/C inflation and L/P dry suit inflation hoses.

What is best is largely based upon the predisposition of the diver towards specific manufacturers.

the Kraken

AquaGuy:
Thanks. Anyone with any opinions on what reg is best used for a backup?

Use whatever you have...

StSomewhere:
Just remember that in this case the backup is *your* backup, so don't skimp! :wink:
What he said is worth remembering - when is the last time you did a complete ascent breathing on your octo (for a drill purpose)? Try it and you'll answer your question.

AT20 isnt to bad at all, great reg , good price.

There are two schools of thought.

1. Your backup should be as good as your primary. And to make like easier, it's nice to have an adjustable reg where the inhalation effort can be increased to help prevent accidental loss of gas, plus an adjustable flow vane is nice to stop any freeflow that ay start on entry to the water, etc. That all results in a fairly complex, balanced and top end second stage for the backup.

2. The opposing view is that it should be a very simple and super reliable basic downstream poppet design. But that almost invariably means a lower performing regulator with less flow rate.

Personally, I think the relaibility diffference between balanced and unbalanced second stages are minimal with reaonable maintenence. Also an inhalation effort adjustment can correct a slight freeflow that may occur due to seat wear in the middle of a dive trip so in the real world I think they present fewer problems.

The exception to this used to be Scubapro's Adjustable second stage which consisted of a simple downstream poppet design but with (obviously) an inhalation effort adjustment knob. It was a great compromise in terms of adjustment, simplicity, and flow rate. But alas SP stopped making it or anything like it.

If you are diving deep, the choice is obvious - go with a second stage that performs as well as your primary and keep in mind that you will be the one using it in an emergency.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom