Taking pictures in Pea Soup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Well thought I’d sneak out and get a dive in. Serious algae bloom about 3ft of visibility. So here are a couple of pics that I have doctored with JASC Paint Shop Pro8. Still shooting in JPEG Fine, will try RAW next time out. Any tips on shooting in these conditions? Comments on editing welcome.

I'd say you did a good job, considering the conditions. Something that I do with pictures that I just can't get enough detail in is turn them into B & Ws and play around with the contrast. Has saved alot of pictures for me.
Lisa

Yeah, looks like you did about as much as you can for the work involved... other than lassos & Layers. (photoshop)

Although I save ALL the pics, even the black ones, sometimes if you highlite, over saturate, change hues etc and finally in the last ditch effort to have something, hit the "Texture" buttons and play with those...
All in all, they can make good Icons or small 150x150 buttons..

Unfortunately, I've got Waaaaay more of those shots than I'd ever admit to... you can only do what you can only do...

I like the B & W idea JL, will have to try that.. believe I did it once and then tried to colorized it heheheh.. or something... anyway, it's NOT showing on any web site... that's for sure... :wink:

I shoot in these type of conditions quite regulary and you can get great (really great) shots - I just abide by one simple "system" - I set up my camera and strobes to take picture no more than 12 inches from the front of the port and stick to that. Without exception.

Its one of the things I have film to thank for, after paying to develop roles of expenisive film with garbage pics you soon learn to save your money by only working within the parameters you have a very good chance of success at.

whitehead:
I shoot in these type of conditions quite regulary and you can get great (really great) shots - I just abide by one simple "system" - I set up my camera and strobes to take picture no more than 12 inches from the front of the port and stick to that. Without exception.

Its one of the things I have film to thank for, after paying to develop roles of expenisive film with garbage pics you soon learn to save your money by only working within the parameters you have a very good chance of success at.

Totally agree. I only use a little digicam and set to macro and stay well with a foot of any subject - usually closer. Here are two examples from a dive in less than 3ft vis (ie I was holding my buddies hand to make sure she was still there).

2b6bdcd0.jpg
Shooting macro is always possible. The (hopefully) enclosed photo was taken in 2-3 feet of vis. It's a fairly large fish (leopard toadfish), but I was able to take the photo from very close with a relatively wide angle macro lens (60mm). 2 100 watt/sec strobes were able to provide the light and contrast. Another dirty water technique is to shoot silhouettes with a wide angle lens. -Clay

Great suggestions. I was using a Nikkor 60mm lens and don't think I was much more than 18" away. Still need to add a focus light it was so dark it was had to make sure I had a sharp focus. AF is usless, IMHO, for Macro work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom