Taking photos and watching your depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
28.gif

This idea came to me (captain gadget) while reading RockyHeap's post on the lost camera.

fdog posted he was concerned about depth while taking photos.

I rarely do dives here on Maui where I am not on the bottom with my camera. However, for those times one is diving in deep water with no bottom in sight or the bottom is too deep for a reference point, this simple idea may help:

Attach a depth gauge to your camera setup. Locate it so that it is easy to view while you are busy framing shots etc. I would likely connect one to the loc-line arm for my strobe.

You can get a wrist mount depth gauge at LeisurePro for $54.95 and somehow mount it to your camera setup.

Anyone know of a smaller one please post it.

I knew a dude in the Army who chased after a cuttlefish so that he could take its picture. The beastie eventually ran into a hole and the chase ended... at over two hundred feet. Yeah, that was a fun story.

How about attaching your computer to the camera rig? All the info is right in front of you.

That would work with some computers but mine is a Suunto Cobra which is air integrated, so that won't work for me.

I have an Uwatec AirZ. It works great mounted on my video rig. It also works on my 5050/PT-15/YS90DX setup if I only use one strobe. Last time out I had a second strobe. No air pressure while the strobes were on. Minor detail. Put computer back on my wrist & all was ok again. It depends on computer & strobe combination. I may choose to just turn off the strobes every 10 min or so to check my air. Its not like I use much of it.

couple things....

One, you should ave enough situational awareness to notice the change in pressure in your ears if you are descending. It is hard, tho, when you are concentrating on pics to keep track of psi, depth, ndl, etc.

I use a wrist computer. Easy to just glance down at it while looking thru the vewfinder.

ANd I have attaced the comp to the rig once, in Yap. Then I handed the camera to my wife so she could take my pic. That was wierd, not having the computer......

I will also fess up to having lost my grip on the camera.... with 5 mil gloves tho. It ws buoyant at the time and popped to the surface, and someone got in the water and grabbed it.. phew!

Chris

Wow. Didn’t realize that post would stir up so much interest. I guess I should explain what happened…

At the time, I was working as a shooter for the Reno Gazette-Journal. A hot button issue around here is the water clarity, and pollution, in Lake Tahoe. Research is done by limnologists from UCD, and the paper was doing a story on the issue. So, I was being paid to come back with the shot. My photo editor was pretty demanding, so I had to produce.

Some blue water research diving is done with a weighted down line from a surface float. The divers are tethered to this line via a pulley and weight system, which gives the flexibility to move but prevents sinking into the blue abyss. So they are free to count tiny critters in a volume of water, while not worrying about a lack of a bottom reference.

I’m usually pretty good at buoyancy control. Generally I can keep depth in free water +- a couple inches if I’m concentrating, otherwise it’s +- a foot or two while I do some task.

I was using an Aquatica A3 housing with a 15mm lens. It’s tough enough to keep your flippers out of the frame. Plus, the perspective is so wide that you have difficulty judging distances (those of you that have used these big chunks of glass will know what I mean) while looking through the camera, so, you can’t really distinguish your own motion in blue water.

As a journalist, you can’t just come back with a pretty photo; it has to tell a story. So after you frame up a photo, you spend quite a bit of time looking through the camera, waiting for that gesture or body position that completes the image and story.

Since I:
1)would be concentrating on the image in the camera, and
2)not getting much feedback from the image about motion, and
3)the guys I was shooting didn’t have the greatest buoyancy control,
I was worried about building up a rate of descent (or ascent) that I wouldn’t catch quickly. So I swallowed my pride and brought a dedicated safety diver.

In this particular case, I would doubt that a depth gauge on the camera would have helped, since I had all my thoughts on the subject in the camera. Probably wouldn’t have seen it. And by the time my ears had popped, the momentum would have been built up. Safety diver was the most direct route at the time, and he made a good sherpa, too.

The tether was 1/8” nylon, only long enough to hold the housing at about arm’s length. This was still enough that about 1/3 the photos had the tether visible over a significant amount of corner. I was pretty mad at myself. Won’t happen again, that’s for sure.

All the best, James

Ah yes.......photography in the Puget Sound with 5mm or 7mm gloves on was a whole new experience compared to warm water diving. I found the Fantasea housing quite hard to even hold onto, and button pushing.......good luck.

fumble fumble, oh heck, just shoot in auto......now where did that shutter button go too?

Maybe superglue your fingers to the button? Heck, hard to lose the camera that way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom