Taking OW course now.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1newscuba

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good morning, my wife and I currently taking our OW certification and will do our check out dives in Cozumel. We are looking to buy our first set of mask, snorkel and fins.

What is the best way to go about this? Buy a package set from big box outdoor or Amazon? Buy whatever is at local dive shop? Does first set need to be several hundred dollars?

As for the cost, I’d prefer not to spend more than I need to. However, if the best route is to invest a couple hundred on a set in the beginning, I’m ok with that.

Thank you for and help.

Traditionally, you buy your set from the shop teaching you. Fit and comfort are the, and I meant THE most important factor in buying a mask, and you can't do that online. Support the people teaching you this incredible hobby.

I’d suggest you support your local dive shop if you want them to keep being there, and especially if they have a liberal pool practice policy. Sometimes I buy something I really don’t need when I use my shop’s pool. You need to try on the masks and fins for fit anyway, and they will last for years, and be great for snorkeling too!

You really need to try on a mask in person to make sure it fits. Find a well stocked local dive shop and try on several brands and models.

Fins are like shoes, lots of types and styles, depends a lot on what you want. Don't get "snorkel" fins.. you probably want a decent open foot scuba fin. I dive Dive Rite fins, but also really like Cressi, and think they make a great fin.

Avoid gimmicky type gear. Simple is usually better.

Be prepared that some shops might try to steer you in a direction, just based on what they have on hand, or the brand they promote.

Don’t buy split fins if you’re going to keep reading here LOL

You also need your own booties, other people’s booties should not be touched, you will fin out why LOL

DGX has a frameless mask that gives a great field of view and low volume at a terrific price. Order one and see how it fits each of you. This will save you a lot of money.
Fins vary a lot in fit and features. Don't figure on your first set to be your last. If you can't find something local, find an online retailer with a good exchange policy. I like open heel fins with booties because full foot fins cut my feet.You probably won't need a lot of power in Cozumel.
For a snorkel, cheap and simple is good. I have never found a need for valves in a snorkel.
My personal opinion is that a name brand computer is a must for a new diver. Something simple with Nitrox. Later, as you progress, it will retain value as a backup.

I think you can find a nice initial setup for $100. - $150. dollars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom