Taking intro to tech which fin ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xspect

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been diving with atomic split fins for years and I love them.

But I'm starting tec course this month.
I don't think my splitfins are suited for tec.

I don't want to go with whatever you instructor recommend, which is usually what the shop is sells.

I will be mostly doing wreck diving with some cave diving. I'll be diving wet for now.

Go with whatever the tech instructor recommends. If you don't trust him on his recommendations for fins, why would you trust him with the rest of the course,

The XL bladed Jet Fin is hard to beat as is the OMS Slipstream - a monoprene version of the Jet Fin. IMHO, the slightly stiffer blade on the Slipstream lets you back up a bit better than the Jet Fin with doubles and a stage. The blades on the "medium" and "large" fins are a bit too small, but still workable if you are diving wet.

The Mares Avanti and Avanti Quattro both produce a pretty credible frog kick with enough power to get a set of doubles moving.

Many divers swear by the Dive Rite fins and they seemed to resolved their de-lamination issues.

Other than that, I would not recommend anything else.

And you are correct, split fins won't cut it for a wide variety of reasons.

I have both Jets and Turtles, which are different sizes because I used to use Rock Boots and don't any more. I prefer the Jets.

I know a number of people who love the Hollis F1s.

Split fins won't cut it, but there's no "one" fin that will work. The general characteristics are a stiff paddle fin. Some models that are popular are the Scubapro Jet fins, Turtle fins, Hollis H1, OMS Slipstream fins, etc. They're all fairly similar in their ability to move a large volume of water but vary some in foot pocket shape/size, weight and in buoyancy characteristics. In general, if it's not solid black and heavy rubber or has any flashy design aspects - odds are you're not looking at a suitable fin.

If you're diving in a wetsuit, the OMS Slipstream may be more favorable in terms of not making you feet heavy. In a drysuit, probably a majority would recommend a negatively buoyant rubber fin.

For the basic design, a fairly stiff blade is the key ingredient. The Jet Fin is the classic vented style, it's available from Scubapro (OEM) or others who make lookalikes (Turtle Fin, Slipstream, etc.) The Hollis F1 is basically the same design concept as the Jet (vented paddle fin), but it's a little longer and has a little more sex appeal. The Dive Rite fin has a somewhat different design concept in that it's not vented.

There are people with excellent technique using all of these. I can also attest that it's possible to suck, no matter what fin you wear. My own recommendation would lean toward the Slipstream since you say you're diving wet, but beyond that you could pick a fin among any of those mentioned above and you'll get out of them the practice you put in.

The XL bladed Jet Fin is hard to beat as is the OMS Slipstream - a monoprene version of the Jet Fin. IMHO, the slightly stiffer blade on the Slipstream lets you back up a bit better than the Jet Fin with doubles and a stage. The blades on the "medium" and "large" fins are a bit too small, but still workable if you are diving wet.

The Mares Avanti and Avanti Quattro both produce a pretty credible frog kick with enough power to get a set of doubles moving.

Many divers swear by the Dive Rite fins and they seemed to resolved their de-lamination issues.

Other than that, I would not recommend anything else.

And you are correct, split fins won't cut it for a wide variety of reasons.

I have Avantis and of course Jet (XL) and I would say that the Avanti is a fine fin, saves packing weight over the Jet and every pound counts these days but and here is the but. The Avanti will fold up on me at maximum output. What do I mean by maximum output? I mean when I kick at 90% effort and above, they fold up and Jet XLs never do that. I got blown off a wreck two weeks ago in a stiff current. I was pushing my camera and when I kicked for the anchor rode at full effort, my Avantis folded. When the s*** hits the fan, give me Jets (or maybe some carbon free diver fins, lol). N

Scubapro Jetfins and Hollis F1 are both nice fins. F1 has a more comfortable foot pocket and I can slip my drysuit boots easier inside.. Can't tell any real difference in behaviour in water between them.

Thanks guys I went with the f1. Leisurepro price matched them for $95. It seemed like a no brainer.

---------- Post Merged at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Go with whatever the tech instructor recommends. If you don't trust him on his recommendations for fins, why would you trust him with the rest of the course,

Cause I dont blindly trust any one. The trust I have I always verify. good for those who can totally trust one person to be all knowing. The coo-aid must be also cheaper in bulk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom