Taking a vacation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In light of several recent responses to posts I have made using my usual tone and style of writing I am going to be taking some time off from responding to anything in certain forums. I think I will also be taking some time to reevaluate my attitude towards trying to respond to questions that require me to change my attitude, personal philosophy on training divers, and what I feel are my own ethical responsibilities when it comes to that. I will restrict my advice to my own students who are paying me to give them the best that I have to offer.

I am not and never have been a touchy feely type person when it comes to those areas. I have certain beliefs, morals, and ethics that I see no need to water down with flowerly language in an effort not to "hurt someone's feelings".

So while you may see me viewing threads it is likely that any responses will be in the form of Pm's or none at all.

And as for the message regarding that my tone and content is related to my wife's death in January, that is completely uncalled for and not appreciated. I wasn't angry. NOW I AM!

And to avoid being kicked off the board I will only be reading PM's from those individuals I feel know and can trust. All others will be deleted unread.

I just responded to your post about mis-labled tanks and then here comes this post. Too bad that you are taking things personal but good luck in your other endeavors. Hoping that you will return soon when you get things sorted out since your posts are usually very informative and helpful.

Wow. Another valuable source of information lost, just because some people want to be "PC" and not hurt somebody else's widdle feelings. Bummer.

Jim, you have lots of great information to offer, and I hope you can see past your anger to consider that a gentler approach to providing that information might sometimes be more useful. You catch more flies with honey, you know :)

In light of several recent responses to posts I have made using my usual tone and style of writing I am going to be taking some time off from responding to anything in certain forums. I think I will also be taking some time to reevaluate my attitude towards trying to respond to questions that require me to change my attitude, personal philosophy on training divers, and what I feel are my own ethical responsibilities when it comes to that. I will restrict my advice to my own students who are paying me to give them the best that I have to offer.

I am not and never have been a touchy feely type person when it comes to those areas. I have certain beliefs, morals, and ethics that I see no need to water down with flowerly language in an effort not to "hurt someone's feelings".

So while you may see me viewing threads it is likely that any responses will be in the form of Pm's or none at all.

And as for the message regarding that my tone and content is related to my wife's death in January, that is completely uncalled for and not appreciated. I wasn't angry. NOW I AM!

And to avoid being kicked off the board I will only be reading PM's from those individuals I feel know and can trust. All others will be deleted unread.

Hey Jim,

Sometimes it's hard to bite your tongue, see you soon when you've chilled. Be well and go out and do some diving.

Breaks are good. I've taken some myself and they do help you to see things in perspective again.

Good luck getting back into the zen, Jim.

R..

Jim,

You have always been a valuable resource for ScubaBoard. That being said, it's always commendable to re-evaluate one's own attitude and motivations.

Criticisms are often hard to take and usually more so for vocal critics. While I am not privy to everything that was written to you, I know that for the most part, people want everyone to be successful while providing a congenial atmosphere for sharing information. I would hope that any and all correspondence to you fell under this category. If you feel it didn't, then by all means please send it to me for review. Hopefully you self imposed "vacation" won't be long, but we will patiently wait for you to return.

Somehow, I don't think that Basic Scuba is the best place for this announcement. It seems it's more personal in nature and has nothing to do with diving.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Somehow, I don't think that Basic Scuba is the best place for this announcement. It seems it's more personal in nature and has nothing to do with diving.

Moved to the community area.

The weather is warming up, it's time to get off the internet and go diving. Enjoy the summer jim. Don't get diving confused with the internet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom