Taking a PADI course online first and then lessons afterwards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alvin Slovinsky

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a question can a person that is interested in learning to Scuba five take the PADI course online through e learning. Then after passing the exam move onto doing the instructional dives through a dive shop and then gave his final open water dive to get certified. Is it a requirement that you do both at the same time when you sign up for the course. In Winnipeg,Mb Canada

You really should coordinate with the shop where you will do the pool work. They may have some odd preferences or quirks about which version you do for eLearning, but more importantly is that you will need to affiliate with a specific shop when you sign up for eLearning.
The shop you affiliate with receives a revenue share from the course price, and you can bet that is part of the financial calculation they are planning on when they price your pool work. They might even have the pricing bundled, and are ready to issue you the eLearning credential when you sign up with them. You really don't want to accidentally send some revenue to a shop that you will have no relationship with.

But if you do, I'll be happy to send you my eLearning link...
:D

The individual certified instructor that is going to teach me hasn’t got the time to get started right away, and I’m wanting to get started on my e learning now than later. I thought if I could get the PADI course completed and behind me it would be easier to concentrate on the diving lessons more.

The individual certified instructor that is going to teach me hasn’t got the time to get started right away, and I’m wanting to get started on my e learning now than later. I thought if I could get the PADI course completed and behind me it would be easier to concentrate on the diving lessons more.
Are you saying your instructor will be an "independent", or through a shop?
Either way, there is a revenue share in play. An independent PADI instructor can still sell you an eLearning course and make some income from it, same as a shop. Talk to the instructor.

You know, I probably didn’t really answer your question. Yes, you can do the eLearning first. Just start with that conversation with LDS or instructor first.

check ahead with your local dive shop for a crash course lesson .over the winter months my lds holds it over a period of weeks on sunday/monday nights but now spring is here they do it over a weekend instead of being in the water an hour a night now you are in the water almost 3 hours a day .that's how i got mine and i loved the pool time .if you want it bad enough you can sign up for it in saskatoon and make a long weekend out of it

It also depends on your motivation. If, like many students, you enjoy the whole learning process, you can just as easily achieve this the traditional way by ordering your crewpack, watching the video, reading the manual, doing the mini-quizzes and completing the knowledge reviews, all beforehand. In class your instructor will then go through your knowledge reviews with you and ask you to complete additional quizzes, remediating and elaborating along the way. Once you are both satisfied you understand the theory you will be ready to sit the final exam.

Alternatively, if you just want to get the theory aspect out of the way, maybe e-learning is more appropriate for you.

I may be a bit stuck in my ways but I prefer teaching the old way.

Anyway, you're clearly motivated so I'm sure you will do well whichever path you chose. Good luck!

and here's a good book to aid you in your quest and get you to the dive site and get you back home again too

Thank you all for your kink words and advice it’s great to have this kind of support to discuss issues like this I’m going to have a chat with my friend and see if he does have time to take me on as a student. He’s a great guy but he might also have taken too many things on and is having time issues sorting them out. If all else fails I’m just going to go the my LDS and get started I’m not one to procrastinate I want to move forward life’s to short to sick back and do nothing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom