Tailoring a dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I saw a really great used suit sell the other day for a carry good price (like for 20% of retail). I past on it because it was one size to large.

has anyone ever gotten a dry suit tailored?

I have a friend who works at a resale clothing store and always calls me when nice brand name jeans or suits come in that are my size or slightly larger. I have gotten all my really nice stuff that way because I buy it at like 10% of retail and then pay a few bucks to have it tailored.

could you do a dry suit the same way?

Just out of curiosity, did you try it on with an undergarment that would be needed for the coldest water you might dive? But as to your question, anything is possible and finding an authorized dealer that can send it back to the manufacturer (if feasible) might be a good place to start. At least you will have a warranty because depending on what needs to be adjusted this could be $$$.

Just out of curiosity, did you try it on with an undergarment that would be needed for the coldest water you might dive? But as to your question, anything is possible and finding an authorized dealer that can send it back to the manufacturer (if feasible) might be a good place to start. At least you will have a warranty because depending on what needs to be adjusted this could be $$$.

it was the crotch length that would be an issue on a larger suit. I dove a 1 size to large rental suit and found all the extra leg length annoying.

but generally it was just a random thought. Is there a situation where “tailoring” a dry suit makes sense?

it was the crotch length that would be an issue on a larger suit. I dove a 1 size to large rental suit and found all the extra leg length annoying.

but generally it was just a random thought. Is there a situation where “tailoring” a dry suit makes sense?

Contact DRIS and ask them your question.

I saw a really great used suit sell the other day for a carry good price (like for 20% of retail). I past on it because it was one size to large.

has anyone ever gotten a dry suit tailored?

I have a friend who works at a resale clothing store and always calls me when nice brand name jeans or suits come in that are my size or slightly larger. I have gotten all my really nice stuff that way because I buy it at like 10% of retail and then pay a few bucks to have it tailored.

could you do a dry suit the same way?
Most things can be altered on a drysuit with one exception, the hoop - runs from the nape of the neck, down the back up then up to the base of the neck.

Many divers, myself included, opt for a 'custom' drysuit that is factory made based on a number of body measurements.

To be fair, I don't think it should be called 'tailored' because all they likely do is match your measurements with the nearest fit of their machine settings and produce something that certainly fits, but is still an approximation. Fully tailored should entail making every single piece exactly to your measurement and I would be surprised if anyone actually goes that far. A drysuit is still a bag in the end, and not a silk shirt where the detail matters.

Nevertheless, it produces a suit that generally fits your body much better than a lot of the off the rack suits.

I wanted a Waterproof drysuit based on features, however, my chest/neck etc. are wider than the specs for my height, so I either end up in a suit that fits me length wise but is too tight once allowing for undergarments, or I end up with a comfortable circumference but too much slack in the length. Any such extra air spaces in a drysuit will ruin the fun, so I felt like I had to go custom and suck up the wait time.

Back
Top Bottom