Tahiti Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Veitch, did I say people in Tuamotous dive with Bull & Tigers sharks without a cage commonly, ummmmm no. A lot of people throughout the world dive with tigers and bulls without a cage. An example of this is Dave Abernathy's diving or you can go to echeng.com and see pics for your self. Bull Sharks are found throughout temperate oceans. For arguements sake, say I buy your theory that bull sharks need fresh water. Did it occur to you that sharks migrate??? Hmmm, for example, several tiger sharks have been satellite tagged and are known to swim thousands of miles, yes thousands. Now I am sure you are a shark expert and considered this before your post. I never once said there are a ton of bull sharks in the area, but for you to say there are none is absurd. There was no need for you to attack me like that with such a disrespectful attitude. I am fairly new to this board and you are the only person who has been rude to me. Thanks for the welcome.

Dude, relax. I wouldn't say that was a disrespectful attitude at all, perhaps a bit sarcastic at the beginning (its a Canadian thing)...you'll find that everywhere on this board. I do like how you started off with Veitch though, reminds me of the boys back at home, you need to use 4 e's though, like this: Veeeetch!

Now that you go a little further with your Bull shark explanation then i can admit that i guess i misunderstood your post, (had some vodkas in the system when i read it anyway) From the way i read it originally sounded to me like you meant Bulls are commonly dived with in Tahiti, not all over the world. Tigers occasionally, especially with a nicely prepared bait. I have some great video on file of one (not mine unfortunately..)
And believe me i am well aware of the bull sharks/tigers in the Bahamas and Beqa Lagoon. In fact am planning on the Abernathy/Shearwater boat myself quite soon. I am even friends with the guy instrumental in creating the marine reserve in Fiji and who organized some of those Bulls tagged last year...

Nor did i say there were none, but that no one i know of in the Tuamotus has seen one, again goes back to the fact from the way your original post reads, sounding like commonly seen in Tahiti...

So there you go Robb, an official apology and explanation from Veitch! (Another Canadian thing, a polite explanation instead of a viscious attack, :) )

Hey Veeeetch, no hard feelings. It was Friday night what can I say. LOL!!! I would love to see that video if you have a link. I checked out your photo gallery and you took some awesome pics, especially the shark feeding. Do you have any recommendations for hotels around bora/bora or Tahiti? Thanks Veeeetch!!

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in FP. We went diving on Tahaa and Bora Bora. On Tahaa we dove outside the reef at about 110 feet and saw what we describe as the fish superhighway. It was a long narrow trail of fish winding around the island with thousands of fish which appeared to be making a good journey. The coolest thing I have ever seen. While on this dive we saw a large school of black tip sharks hunting the highway for laggers. We also saw a large school of baracuda hunting. Very cool but we did not get too close.

On Bora Bora we did a shark dive where the shark were feed at about 45 feet. There was a compression in the coral floor. All the divers lined up on the top outside of the compression while the DM feed the shark in the middle. I felt very safe, even though several of the shark would swim quite close to us and behind us. I got some great pictures though.

For places to stay, in Tahaa we stayed at Vahine Island and it was fantastic. Very relaxing and low key. We would definately stay there again, without question. on Bora Bora we stayed at the Lagoon Resort which was very nice. If you go to Bora Bora I would reccommend it. However, we were not to fond of Bora Bora. to expensive and too touristy, insofar as everything is geared toward the tourist. Very pretty though. We also stay on Moorea at the Beachcomber. I would never go back to FP with out staying several nights at Moorea. It was a fantastic place. Also, I highly highly reccommend the Beachcomber and all the locals we spoke with think it is the best place to stay.

Have fun:)

Thanks for all the insight . My wife and I are very avid snorkelers and are planning a trip to Bora Bora and Moorea in the early Spring. Being that after all the hours we spent in the water and have never even come close to seeing a shark we too are very LEERY about seeing so many. I'll count my fingers after every dive.
Thanks
Joe B

Back
Top Bottom