Tahiti/Moorea - Any Shore Diving Spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SunTunnel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi ScubaBoard,

I'm looking to plan a trip and am eying up Tahiti for a future visit (yes, I know it's currently closed to visitors due to COVID).

Are there any shore diving spots on Tahiti or Moorea? If so, are there shallow reefs (50' or below)?
Lastly, if there are spots to shore dive, is it possible to easily rent tanks?

I know it's not a shore diving destination, but I am looking for this this as an option. Been to the ABC's, not interested in Grand Cayman, Bahamas a possibility. Just thought that Tahiti might be an interesting spot.

Thanks!

I dived Moorea (by boat) inside and outside the fringe reef and all were shallow. We dived inside the fringe reef beteeen Opunohu and Cook's Bay. I suppose it could be dived as a shore dive but you must be careful about the tides around the passes. They come in and out with force. Further away from the passes the current is less but could have a bit of surge. We did see dolphins, eagle rays and other interseting things inside the lagoon. The visibility inside the lagoons was not great where we were. Other parts of the island may have better lagoons for shore diving. Where we were they fish these lagoons quite alot (hooks and lines). I definitely would not try to shore dive outside the fringe reef.
There are dive shops on the island and I think they are all associated/located with(in) hotels. I don't know how easy tank rentals would be. If you are inclined and don't get what you need here, they should reply to an email from you about shore dives.
I did not dive the main island, Tahiti.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom