Tahiti Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asta1227

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone been on this live-aboard? My husband and I are considering a trip next year to Tahiti and cannot decide on land-based hotels or to just do a live-aboard.

Any suggestions, comments? I've read most of the trip reports from Scuba Jim. I still can't make up my mind :(

Thanks!!

Asta1227,

I spend a great deal of time in Tahiti, but have not been on the Aggressor. Have heard positive comments and read pretty good reviews though. Remember that Tahiti is not known for soft corals, go to Fiji for that. Most people go to Tahiti for pelagics. Lots of shark....mostly black tip, lemon, reef, but you can find hammerheads as well. Mantas and turtles are good here as well, and the majority of the dives will be drift through the pass, and around the corner of the pass. But don't expect to be impressed by the reef itself.

The liveaboard is an out on SAT, return on FRI from Rangiroa. Best bet is to spend 2 weeks. It's a difficult destination, so one week is not enough to have a great, relaxing vacation, especially if one week is diving on the boat. Plenty of options. Go early or stay later and do the Manihi, Bora, Mo'orea thing. From Bora there is a non stop flight to Rangiroa on certain days of the week, and also a flt from Rangiroa to Manihi, so you can plan your itinerary around the Air Tahiti flt schedules. They have a link, so do a google and take a look at their flt schedules and check out the multiple island passes, which will save a few bucks. And Tahiti is expensive, so saving anything is a good thing.

There are also plenty of shore based dive operations on Bora, Rangi, Mo'orea, and others as well, so you can also get some nice dives in after the Aggressor.

My suggestion is to try and get there in the first half of July. There is a big festival, celebrating Bastille Day (French polynesia), and the islands of Tahiti, Bora, are great for this. Traditional dance competitions, and a lot going on during the day with various demonstrations, and partying in general. Highly recommend this as many don't get to see it. Worth the dancing alone. Do another search for "Heiva". I would provide links, but not possible at the moment.

hope that helps

They advertise in our local dive mags alot. If you want serious hard out diving, then the live aboard is the way to go. The South Pacific Islands in general have the best diving in the outer islands. I was recently in Tonga and the best diving was way out there. If you want a more relaxed option of splitting your days sight seeing and diving, with less dives, then the local day charters will take you out to the normal dived sights. My personal preference is to get to the more remote dive sites and set time for sightseeing after to fit in with offgassing before the plane ride home. Tahiti is expensive so book and pay for as much as you can before you leave. Another option if you want French flavour at a cheaper rate could be New Caledonia. Just a thought. Have a great trip.
The one and only,
Gasman

Thats funny...

My boss is on that boat right now... I will tell you what he thinks when he gets back on Monday...

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll be looking forward to hearing what your boss has to say Lubold!

I'm on my way to Bonaire on Sat so I'll look for it when I get back!@

I was on the very first trip she did. Do a search on this site for something like Tahiti trip report. I posted 4 parts. The second part was on the Aggressor. Also you can find more info here and following the links to Tahiti.

If you plan to go diving do not go to Tahiti in July or August - this is thew windiest time for S Pacific destinations, and the sea is coller and rough.

Wait till mid/late September....

If you want some more info PM me...

Have a nice weekend.

Well, everything went well... My boss said that the boat was amazing, the crew was OUTSTANDING!!! and the dives were spectacular.

One dive: they saw many silvertip sharks, a dolphin, a few turtles, a school of eagle rays... WAY COOL!!!

SOunds like a great destination... my boss has been almost everywhere in the world, and he has been diving for almost thirty years, and I have never heard him go on and on about a trip like this before. Makes me want to go to Tahiti!!! I hope you have a great time on your trip...

I'm booked on the Tahiti Aggressor in May. Could your boss provide any suggestions or "words of wisdom" which he would recommend in hindsight. Plus...more details!!!

John

LUBOLD8431

I am also going on the Tahtiti Agressor in late Oct. and can't wait. Any more details and "words of wisdom" would be great. Thanks.

- JG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom